cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policie not working properly

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Hello,

I have a template that says "If start conflict, Monthly Full Backup supersedes Weekly Full Backup.

The schedule of both jobs are:

Start no earlier than 21:00:00
and no later than 20:59:59

Yesterday, i saw that the Montly backup did supersede the Weekly, the full backup was running during 11 hours, and what is wrong, was that after te full backup ended, the weekly started.

What is wrong here? The Montly did superseded the weekly and the start time is in conflit, so why isn't my weekly backup being reschedule?

Thank you,
Afonso

Message Edited by Afonso Martins on 03-31-200701:31 AM

9 REPLIES 9

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Change your Monthly backup to 21:05 and 21:04 so your weekly backup starts first.  If both have same time it could conflict.   Set the one with priority to the 21:00 and 20:59.

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your relpy.

I will try as you said, but the strange it is that this always worked like this, and it just started to work yesterday.

Thank you.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Maybe it needs a restart.   Did you add any patches to BE yesterday or the night before that could have broke something?

Message Edited by Michael McKenney on 03-31-200706:13 AM

Afonso_Martins
Level 4

I have recreated the policies of my duplicate jobs because of the other problem that i am having, i have another post at https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&message.id=8745

But this is with the duplicate jobs and not with the main job, so it should not be related.

I will try a restart tomorrow.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
What version and rev?  I am on 11D 7170.   It improved backup performance but broke Job History with a SQLXMLX.DLL error.   I am ready to roll back to 6235.   My OS is XP Pro x64 SP2 AMD64.

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
I am still using Windows 2000 with 11D  6235.

Torsten_Koehler
Level 3
Hi,

in my opinion the priority rule only works if start and end time of both affected jobs are equal - we had this problem in the past cause of different start times between a monthly and a weekly backup job.

But anyway - I had the same problem jesterday night inspite of a correct configuration of my backup jobs. with 10d everthing worked fine in that case ... a lot of things worked better with the former version... :(

Torsten

Afonso_Martins
Level 4
Hi,

As i said before, in my case, the Montly did superseded the weekly, i saw the montly backup starting proprely over the weekly backup. So this is ok and working properly.

What i don't understand is why the weekly backup started when the montly backup ended, it was out of the window time:

Start no earlier than 21:00:00
and no later than 20:59:59

Thanks,
Afonso.

IT_Systems
Not applicable
I have the same issue although it doesn't seem to be consistent.

I have a policy with a daily, weekly and monthly template each of which has the same start \ end time.  The jobs always fire correctly (monthly job runs and the weekly and daily jobs report as superseded) but in some cases the weekly job will run following the monthly job and the daily will run following the weekly job.

If i copy the policy and create a test selection list and edit start times to test this behaviour it always works correctly (monthly job runs and weekly \ daily jobs get rescheduled for their next start time).

I suspect this may be caused by starttimes being delayed by other jobs running at the same time as i can't reproduce the problem in an isolated situation.

This was never a problem in v10d.