cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policy Configuration with Backup to Disk/Tape and Multiple Selection Lists...

SwanseaHelpdesk
Not applicable
Hi,

We've got a backup scenario that I'm struggling to configure in Backup Exec 12.5 SP3.  Here's what we're trying to achieve:

We're backing up the data shares on our main file server to disk: a full backup on Sunday during the day followed by incrementals every weekday night / saturday night.  This then needs to be appended to our daily tape which backs up our other file servers and database servers (full backup every night). I would like to run the jobs sequentially using a policy as follows:
  • 1. Backup to disk main file server shares (full backup every sunday)
  • 2. Backup file servers and database servers to tape (excluding main file server shares mentioned above)
  • 3. Simultaneously backup to disk main file server shares (incremental)
  • 4. Once #1 has finished run a duplicate job copying the backup to disk (full + incremental, so full backup) of our main file server and append it to the tape
My question is how do you have these jobs setup as templates?  Part 2 uses a single selection list (though I'd like to split it up so each server has its own to make failed backups easier to re-run), then parts 1 and 3 uses a second selection list.  When I try to achieve this sort of behaviour in a single policy each part runs BOTH selection lists, I can't seem to allocate separate lists to individual templates.

Also, when I set up Policy Rules to run both #2 and #3 at the same time and then once #1 is finished append #4 to the tape, Backup Exec complains that I can't specify a duplication template in a rule with a backup template.  How am I to get this to run as soon as job #1 completes?

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm starting to go mildly insane trying to work it all out!

We're running Windows servers and using the Backup Exec Agent on all of them.

Thanks,

Paul Perkin
Bemis Swansea
0 REPLIES 0