cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible for Different Versions to Exist on same host?

David_Jennings
Level 5
We currently have v 10.0 5484 installed on a media server.  Rather than upgrade to 11d on that server we have installed it on a new server and would like to begin pushing agents out.  On most of the servers I have no issue w/ removing the old agent and installing the new one.  The question really is with respect to the media servers (which are also Exchange servers).  Is there a way I could stop the services on the old media server and push the new agent w/o uninstalling version 10.0?  I just want to have a fail safe in case I need to do a restore in the next 3 weeks until the media gets reused on the new 11d server. 
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
 Is there a way I could stop the services on the old media server and push the new agent w/o uninstalling version 10.0? 
No - All file access by the media server is via the "remote agent" even local access.  the RAWS on the media server needs to be the same build as the server code

I just want to have a fail safe in case I need to do a restore in the next 3 weeks until the media gets reused on the new 11d server
v11d will read v10x tapes, but a v10.0 server will not talk to a v11 RAWS.

If you were on v10d (v10.1), v11d would accept your back level remote agents,  but I don't  think that v10 agents will connect

David_Jennings
Level 5
Thanks Ken.  Wasn't sure that the tapes would still be usable once I rolled over to the new BU server.  Haven't been on here in a while but somehow I knew you'd be the first to answer my question.  I appreciate it.

David_Jennings
Level 5
Just for giggles I figured I'd check if I could add the 10.0 remote servers manually to the 11d BE servers.  I was able to add the servers without a problem and even browse the directories on each.  I'll try a test backup tonight to see if it'll work successfully.  If it works it'll help w/ being able to move to 11d earlier in the week and just come in on Saturday to update the agents.