Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Backup Exec 2010 R3 from "owning"/"locking" tape device

RafaelAuer
Level 3
Partner

Dear all,

I do have the following situation:

I'm backing up Enterprise Vault with the BUE 2010 R3 latest SP and updates agent to a disc device.
On the same server running BUE, has another backup software, which should now be used for the tape backup. (No, i don't want to use BUE for it. Fact.)

The problem is: BUE does kind of "lock" the tape device.
If all services are running, i can not use the drive with the other program.
If i stop the device service, it is usable with the other program.

Does anybody have a solution, to prevent BUE from "locking" the drive / making it it's own, and still work with the disk devices?

kind regards from Austria,

Rafael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately, no there isn't a way of stopping BE from locking a tape drive that it detects. Also, as soon as BE detects the tape drive it would try and get exclusive access to the device.

The only way you could achieve this by stopping and disabling BE services.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you tried to disable the device within BE?

This would be the only way around this...BE would automatically see what Windows Device Manager sees.

Thanks!

RafaelAuer
Level 3
Partner

Hi Craig,

Well yes i did that, and even removed the tape drive completely.

Didn't help either.

That doesn't sound good to me.

So i will have to look for an other way to backup Enterprise Vault.

Thanks for your help!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately, no there isn't a way of stopping BE from locking a tape drive that it detects. Also, as soon as BE detects the tape drive it would try and get exclusive access to the device.

The only way you could achieve this by stopping and disabling BE services.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Look here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67698

I want to mension that it is not recomended to instal third party backup software on the same server with BE.

CraigV

...well, CA ARCserve and Backup Exec yes...Backup Exec and something like Veeam no. They both coexist just fine.

Thanks!

RafaelAuer
Level 3
Partner

I do have a lot of installations with Veeam & BE on one server. That is no problem yes.

So i guess i will try to backup EV with the other software as well and uninstall BUE.

CraigV

...obviously only uninstall BE if no longer needed, which also helps with licensing renewals.

Thanks!

RafaelAuer
Level 3
Partner

Well, it is needed, because i have very positive experiences with Enterprise Vautl restores with the agent of Backup Exec 2010.

I will need to find a way around anyway.

Thanks!

CraigV

...are you not able to move EV and BE to another server that doesn't have a library attached?

RafaelAuer
Level 3
Partner

We do have 3 Servers that are used for EV:
1 is the SQL server (has other instances too), 1 is the EV server itself, and 1 is de backup server (That does not only backup EV, it does backup the whole infrastructure. So it has a lot of different tools and backup software on it. A lot of scripts, Veeam, and BUE, just to mention some))

i would like to keep everything that has to do with backup, on the backup server.

But as things evolved, i guess i will need to move BUE on the EV Server.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Rafael,  please check this : How to change Backup Exec's robotic library locking behavior

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67698

best regards,

cruisen

RafaelAuer
Level 3
Partner

Thank you, but the problem is not that it locks the drive or the robot, that is why tha lock in the title is under " " .
:)

The problem is that no other program or software can't use or see the drive, when Backup Exec services are running, which need to be running to still be able to use Backup Exec.

CraigV

...the same TN was provided a couple of hours ago!

Thanks!