cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent media eject

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
I would like to know how to stop a tape from Ejecting. What is going on is if the Tape is not Overwritable it will come up and ask you to insert an overwritable tape and then Eject the tape that is currently in the Drive.

Is there a way to stop this from Happening?
14 REPLIES 14

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Review your Media Management options and make sure they are set up correctly.
This generally causes the Eject to happen.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Check the "Media Set" properties- The "Overwrite Protection" and "Append" period.

Also check the option in job properties "When this job begins".

The tape present in the tape drive should correspond to the option selected under "When this job begins".

One more thing- If the job is spanning-i.e- the job needs more than one tape-then the first tape after being fully written to, will be ejected and it will ask for an "overwritable tape" irrespective of the option selected under "When this job begins".-this is by design.

Following are the documents which will be helpful in understanding Overwrite Protection" and "Append" period:

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
Sorry maybe I should have explained a little more... I do not want the tape to eject automatically ever whether the Job fails, Completes Successfully, is looking for a new tape, etc... I would rather do this manually so I am able to access the Tape remotely to ensure a successful backup at night or over the weekend.

Thanks again

Tim

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
I should have also mentioned that within the Job Properties the "Eject Media after Job Completes" option is not checked.

Thanks

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Have you configured any alerts related to media eject?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The way that BackupExec is written, with a standalone drive, if if the mounted tape is not in the correct media set (for APPEND jobs) or not in scratch status (for OVERWRITE jobs) the currnetly mounted volume is ejected and an alert posted to insert an appropritate tape

There is no way (AFAIK) to change this behavior

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
The Only Configuration that I see is

Library Insert: Automatically Clear alert after 2 hours
Catolog Alert: Send a Notification
Device Warning: Automatically Clear alert in 3 days
Install Warning: Automatically Clear alert in 3 days
Job Completed with exceptions: Automatically Clear alert in 3 days
Job Warning: Automatically Clear alert in 3 days
Media, Software Update, Tape Alert: Automatically Clear alert in 3 days

All others have record event in the Windows Event Log

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
Now that Sucks Ken... But if that is the final Answer then that is just how it is!

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
Now that Sucks Ken... But if that is the final Answer then that is just how it is!

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
I hope that is not the case but you are probably right.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Media is in scratch media set?

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
The Tape is in the weekly pool in an overwritable status... I have also tried it in the Scratch Pool as well

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Tape has ejected when it wsa in scratch media set?

What is the overwrite protection level?

Tim_Bizz
Level 4
I think we are going off on a different Bunny Trail here. When a job runs and it deems it needs an extra tape, or the tape has a CRC error it ejects the tape. The tape originally is in the Scratch Media Pool, or Weekly Media Pool and is overwritable. I believe Ken is correct that BE is unable to stop this from Happening and it is just an Automatic occurance.