cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previously used media not recognized after importing

Archilles_Casti
Level 3
Hi,

We are always caught up in a situation wherein previously used media are not automatically recognized after import. I thought by default, BE would recognized previously used media. What setting did I miss?

Backup h/w: hp 1/8 tape autoader, Ultrium 2 drive
Backup Exec: v10 rev. 5520

This usually what happen as follows:
- Run restore job.
- Alert pops up to insert the media.
- Media is imported into autoloader using BE.
- Restore job is put on hold as the system is still looking for the media inspite that correct media is already inserted into autoloader.
- Inventory the drive but under Job Status in Job Monitor tab, it says; Ready; No idle devices are available.

Most of the time, I ended up cancelling the restore job first for the Inventory job to proceed. And then run restore job again.

Grateful if you could suggest any resolution or workaround.

Regards, Archie
5 REPLIES 5

Simon_Zang_2
Level 3
If you have only one type drive,then that's normal.for a autoloader,commonly do not have a bar code scanner in it. so the types must be read in the drive before backup exec can know which media it is and what was stored in it.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Also please veify that the inserted media is overwritable.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Archilles_Casti
Level 3
That's quite acceptable for restore job but painful when it happen to a backup job.

For example, you have a running backup job and an alert pops up to insert a 2nd tape after the 1st tape becomes full. By the time you inserted the 2nd used tape, BE can't recognize it. So you're forced to run Inventory but it can't continue because of the "No devices available" message. So the end resuilt - backup job can't complete.

Okay, we' re supposed to know beforehand that we have to import 2 or 3 tapes into the autoloader before the job runs but that defeats the whole purpose of having BE or any backup solution for that matter --- which is to make the life of Admins easier!

Regards, Archie

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Have you installed the Central Admin server option on the backup exec server?

In that case follow the steps in the technote below in order to resolve the problem:

Title: Jobs appear as ''Ready; no idle devices are available'' in the Job Monitor even though drives are availablehttp://support.veritas.com/docs/277592

If the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Archilles_Casti
Level 3
Hi,

I'm looking with my previous posts and came upon on this.

The server is not running CASO so the Technote you provided is not applicable.

Regards,
Archie