cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backup of a Netapp not cataloging in backupexec 2010 R2

doogle1975
Level 2

Hi there,

I have the need to try and recover data from tapes of about a year ago.  The information that was held in the bkexec database has aged and I can't recover any data without a full catalog on that required tapes. the backup was taken of a Netapp using NDMP. the backup was using Backup Exec 2010 R2 and I'm am trying to recovering using the exact same system.

I have played with every option under the Tool\Options\Catalog section to no avail.  I found an Symantec article TECH167457 created in 2011 which supposedly fixes the exact problem which I am having.  according to this article, when using the NDMP Agent option, it is important to make sure that the "Use storage media-based catalogs" option is ticked which, by default means the "Request all media in the seqence for catalog operations" is also ticked.  The point was made that if a catalog of these tapes had been made previously without these options ticked, you needed to deleted the media from the Media tab, restart the services, and then inventory each tape again.  afterwhich you should be able to catalog the tapes in the normal way.

This I have had to do previously when importing media and cataloging from a different system not using ndmp, and it worked as I expected.

However, after trying the steps in the article, I still can not get the tapes to catalog and thus have no way of recovering the data on these tapes....

it suggests the catalog is running but sits on 0 byte count, asks for a few tapes, then finishes "successfully".

has someone got a solution out there that will help me fix this problem?  It is a bit of a worry that I have been assuming my backups are all good, but suddenly that has all been thrown up in the air.

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Keep Request media in sequence and Use storage media based catalogs options Unchecked.

Stop BE services.

Rename the existing catalogs folder to catalogs.old 

Restart BE services.

Run the catalog operation.

doogle1975
Level 2

thanks Kiran, but that did not work.  exactly the same result. fails to catalog with 0 byte count

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok

TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171584 says "Tapes/B2D which contain NDMP Backup sets cannot be slow catalogged."

Also From another source: "NDMP backup sets cannot be cataloged unless the following option is selected as a catalog default: Use storage media-based catalogs" crying

You already tried it.... (167547)

doogle1975
Level 2

yes.... I already tried that.  I feel like I have tried every possible variation I can possibly try....

are there any other people who have come across this and been able to solve?