cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Restoring mails for Exchange 2007

grubi
Level 3
Hi.

I have a serious problem on restoring mails or mailboxes from backup. There is no error message on backup or restore but as soon as you open a restored mail in Outlook or via OWA only the first character of the mail body is displayed. The subject is displayed properly and all attachments are intact, however the message body always only contains the first character. Strange enough that e-mails in HTML format are also displayed correctly. This happens always on every restored item regardless or mailbox of database. I tried both running Backup with Open File Agent and without.

Config is as follows:

Mediaserver is running:
Windows 2003 R2 x86 SP2,
BackupExec 11 Build 7170 SP2,
Exchange Management Tools of Exchange 2007 SP1 x86

Exchange server is running:
Windows 2003 R2 x64 SP2,
Exchange 2007 SP1

I have to deploy the system to the customer however I'm unable to do it in this state. So I would really appreciate any help or suggestions how to further track down the problem.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
grubi.

5 REPLIES 5

grubi
Level 3
Searching the forum I found that others have exactly the same issue but no one posted if he were able to solve the problem. Is this an issue Symantec is aware of? Is there any solution so far?

Here is the link.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&thread.id=19262&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Regards,
grubi.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
grubi,

My best suggestion would be to call in and open a ticket for this issue.  That issue may require more troubleshooting then can be done over the forums.

grubi
Level 3
We are seeing a second issue with the remote server. Maybe this is related to the first one and you have an idea what's wrong.

When trying to repush the agent to the remote server the procedure is denied by a message that the remote server needs a reboot before continuing. But even after multiple reboots this message is still displayed on the attempt to repush the agent and you are not able to repush it. The message did not even disappear after you uninstalled the agent on the remote machine. To be sure that nothing went wrong on the initial push I restored an image of the server before any BE components were installed and retried the whole thing wiht exactly the same result. I found out that this does not happen if you omit pushing the AFO part of the agent. Is this normal behavour or is there maybe anything wrong with SP2?

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

grubi.

itonnet
Not applicable
Hi Grubi,

I've got the same problem. The restore seems to be OK, but in some email bodys, there's only one character.

Did you find any solution  ? I haven't found, yet !

My config:
Win2003 x64 with Exchange 2007 SP2 and correctly installed BE remote agents (+ AOF)
(+ installed Mapi & Cdo 1.2.1)

Win2003 x32 with BE 11d, SP2 and hotfixes 32+33 (with exchange,aof,remote agent)
 (+ installed Exchange 2007 Tools)

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Alex

grubi
Level 3
Hi Alex.

I was not able to solve the problem. I setup two completely new servers in a test environment leading to exacly the same result. I also opened a case at Symantec. At first they advised to try some things which also did not solve the problem but then they stopped responding to my latest email which is about one week ago.

Sorry to say but I do not trust in reliability of GRT any longer and so dropped it altogether. I don't like to take the risk that our customers are making backups which they are not able to restore in an emergancy case. This is the best way to loose customers.

To restore individual mailboxes I now use a Recovery Storage Group which works as expected.

I'm quite disappointed about the current performance of Symantec as we also have serious problems with Endpoint Protection 11.0. Anytime you reach the point where the attempt to save additional costs has direct imapct on the quality of your products.

Regards,
grubi