cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem cataloging bkf files

Enviros_IT
Level 3
I am having problems cataloging a job of bkf files that were originally backed up to an external hard drive, then moved to an Ultrium 2 tape and have now been restored back to an external hard drive to restore some data.

I have tried cataloging the files from the hard drive on two of our Backup Exec 10d servers and each time the first file I select catalogs with 0 bytes and does not catalog any more of the subsequent files and if I try to open the restore window a message appears saying 'the selected media was not found in the catalogs' or if I do manage to catalog any of the files the restore list only shows one server out of three and some of the data that was backed up.

I have tried taking off the option for 'use storage media-based catalogs' and have also tried renaming the catalogs folder but still get the same problems.

I have even tried cataloging the files using a trial copy of Backup Exec 12 and the same problems occurs with this aswell.

Any assistance would be much appreicated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do  you inventory the folder containing the BKF files before you try to catalog them?

You can also try shutting down all BackupExec services, renaming the \Catalogs folder (to catalogs.sav for example) restarting the services and doing the inventoy/catalog

(rememeber to rename the catalog directory back before the next production run)

Enviros_IT
Level 3
I did run an inventory on the folder before trying to catalog the bkf files. I have tried renaming the catalogs folder on our Backup exec 10d server but had the same problem. I have not tried this on the Backup Exec 12 server as it was a fresh install.

Thanks

Martin.

Enviros_IT
Level 3
I am still having problems restoring from bkf files that have been restored from a tape back to an external hard drive where they were backed up onto in the first place, this problem is with another set of bkf files for the same office but for a different month end backup. 

I run an inventory on the folder containing the files and then a catalog but the catalog only seems to run on the first file I select and the remaining files all catalog with '0' bytes. When I try to restore from the files all I can in the restore list is one server out of three that were originally backed up and I can only see a few folders in the list for that server when a lot more were originally backed up.

I have tried turning off the option for 'use storage media-based catalogs' and have also tried renaming the catalogs folder and running the inventory and catalog again and get the same results.

Can someone please help me with this issue as it is getting very frustrating not being able to restore from a backup that was successful when backing up the files to tape!

Thanks

Enviros_IT

Enviros_IT
Level 3
I have just noticed that some of the files have a different Allocated Date in the Devices screen, can anyone confirm if this could be causing the issue or not?

Thanks

Enviros_IT

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't know what to tell you aside from perhaps to open an incident

To avoid these problems in the future, don't do a standard backup of the BKF files, do a DUPLICATE instead, and you can restore directly from the tape

Enviros_IT
Level 3
This sounds a good option, but, unfortunately the server that runs the initial hard drive backup is not used to transfer the files to tape, on a monthly basis we receive an external drive with a backup set on it containing bkf files and we then back these up to tape (LTO2) and send the hard drive back to be used for the following month end. Is there any other way we can successfully backup this files so that we can restore from them at a later date?

Thanks