cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem doing redirected Exchange Restore using GRT

Alaska_IT
Level 3

Good afternoon all,

I am using BackupExec 2010R3 running on a Windows Server 2008R2 and am backing up a Exchange 2003 Server with the GRT option enabled.  I am having 2 issues regarding the restoration:

1.  I had assumed with the GRT option I would be able to select individual folders and items to restore to the mailbox.  I am not seeing that option and am only seeing it down to the mailbox level. 

This leads to my 2nd problem:

2.  Since I cannot do a restore of indivudal items I am trying to restore a mailbox and redirect it to another mailbox so I can just pull out the items I need.  When performing that I am receiving the following errors:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 9:31:17 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002fc - Cannot restore one or more mailboxes. The database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or is not accessible. Ensure that the server is available and that the database is mounted, and then run the job again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-764

V-79-57344-764 - Unable to restore any content for restoreron2 because the Microsoft Exchange databa...

The mailbox I am trying to restore to is active (can send and receive email) and is not hidden.  The account that I am using to do the backup and restore is the same and it has all the correct permissions that I can see.  The Exchange database is online as well.  This is the first time I have attempted to do an Exchange restore since moving to BE 2010 and am hoping I am missing something simple.  I figured I would post it here first to see if anyone had any ideas before I open a support case.

Thanks in advance for any information or assistance you can provide.

Kris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Restoring from tape or disk ?

If from tape, duplicate the job to disk & see if you are able to view contents of the mailboxes

EDIt***

Do ensure the mailbox name & exchange server name are entered correctly in the restore window for redirection..try not using the alias name or UPN...use only the mailbox name

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Alaska_IT
Level 3

I am restoring from tape, I will try and duplicate it to disk and see what the results are.  Will let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Restoring from tape or disk ?

If from tape, duplicate the job to disk & see if you are able to view contents of the mailboxes

EDIt***

Do ensure the mailbox name & exchange server name are entered correctly in the restore window for redirection..try not using the alias name or UPN...use only the mailbox name

Alaska_IT
Level 3

I have the server name as \\SERVER

For the mailbox name I created an account where the Display Name matched the mailbox name 'restoreuser' just to make sure I was putting the right one in since I found conflicting information in my internet searches.  But just to be clear would the mailbox name be the one that shows up in Exchange System Manager under the Mailboxes?

Still running the Duplicate Backup Sets job, looks like it is about halfway done.

Thanks!

Alaska_IT
Level 3

OK, after duplicating the backup set to disk I am now able to browse the backup contents and view down the message level which is very helpful.  But then I went to do a direct restore of some message directly to the mailbox they were backed up from and received the following errors:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 12:13:24 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002fc - Cannot restore one or more mailboxes. The database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or is not accessible. Ensure that the server is available and that the database is mounted, and then run the job again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-764

Restore- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
V-79-57344-764 - Unable to restore any content for LastName, Fname [userid] because the Microsoft Ex... 

So it looks like the other issue is still persisting, so have to figure out why I am getting these errors.

Thanks again for the help!

VJware
Level 6

What is the mailbox name ? Is it 'restoreuser' or 'restoreon2' ?

The mailbox has to be unique by the first 5 letters...for egs, if there is a mailbox named admin, it cannot be considered unique if there is another mailbox named administrator

Alaska_IT
Level 3

The mailbox is actually 'restoreron2', sorry about that.  I do have 2 mailboxes that have the same first 5 letters, so I will go ahead and remove one of those. 

But since I am still having an issue with a restore where I am not redirecting it to another mailbox I am guessing I have another issue as well possibly?

Thanks

Alaska_IT
Level 3

I ended up opening a support call to get this resolved, but figured I would pass along my issue.  My problem was that there was some issue with the System Account that I was using to do the restores with.  Support walked me through creating a new System Account to use to do the restores and I was able to succesfully to the restore. 

Thank you VJware for the information you provided, it was very helpful!

Kris