cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing on 2003 x64

Daniel_Lane
Level 2
I've got a server that's been reloaded with 2003 x64 to support exchange 2007. Installing backup exec 11 on this server has been problematic.

Installation appears to complete successfully. However the Device & Media service will NOT start. Upon checking it failing in a "Database Recovery". The database is as far as I can tell fine.

I am using the included SQL server.

The Database Recovery Log follows:

Backup Exec Database Recovery
01/17/07 11:58:05
-----------------------------
Initializing...
BEGetComputerName = 'SERVER2'
GetBeVirtualServerName = ''
Using node name for media server
Data for BE database:
Structure size: 6504
Media Server : SERVER2
Node, if clust:
SQL Server : SERVER2
Instance Name : BkupExec
SQL Instance : SERVER2\BkupExec
SQL Service : MSSQL$BkupExec
Database : BEDB
App Data Path : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data
Database Path :
Database Log :
Database File : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf
Database Log : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf
Backup File : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB.bak
Base File : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.bak
Base Log File : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.bak
Is Local : TRUE
IsDatabaseMgr : TRUE
Recover database using best method..
OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=server2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80040154
Error connecting to master database: hr = 0x80040154
OS ERROR: 0x80040154 (-2147221164)
Status of database BEDB is unknown
Fixing up any database linkage problems for 'BEDB'
Execute command: declare @@stemp as varchar(32)
select @@stemp = isnull(convert(varchar,databasepropertyex('BEDB','status')),'NOT EXIST')
print 'Database status: ' + @@stemp
if @@stemp <> 'ONLINE' and @@stemp <> 'NOT EXIST'
begin
print 'Forcing database detach'
EXEC sp_detach_db 'BEDB'
end

OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=server2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80040154
Execute command failed: 0x80040154
Status of database BEDB is unknown
File Exist Check: \\SERVER2\C$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf
File Exist: TRUE
Attach database BEDB
File Exist Check: \\SERVER2\C$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf
File Exist Check: \\SERVER2\C$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf
Execute command: sp_attach_db 'BEDB','C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf','C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf'
Execute command failed: 0x80040154
Deinitialize...

Process completed
01/17/07 11:58:05
23 REPLIES 23

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

-- Are you trying to install backup exec on an existing sql 2005 or sql 2000?

Thank you,

Shweta

Ajit_Lomte
Not applicable
Employee Certified
Just Testing. Please ignore this message.Message was edited by:
Ajit Lomte

Daniel_Lane
Level 2
I am installing using the SQL Server Express that is part of the Backup Exec installation (At this time there is NO other SQL on this server at all, I don't want to bring everything else online until I get the backup functional). I do have SQL on another Server and have the tools there so I can see the SQL Server Express and it appears to be functioning fine. I can even run the SQL Profiler on the Backup Exec SQL Server instance and it shows no activity at all when the service is starting.

The message in the event log is (Application Log)
Event Type:Error
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:None
Event ID:58068
Date:1/18/2007
Time:8:50:13 AM
User:N/A
Computer:SERVER2
Description:
The Backup Exec Device and Media Service could not start because the database recovery has failed. Refer to the database recovery log for details.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

The system Log

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Service Control Manager
Event Category:None
Event ID:7024
Date:1/18/2007
Time:8:50:13 AM
User:N/A
Computer:SERVER2
Description:
The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service terminated with service-specific error 536928979 (0x2000E2D3).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

rgolsen
Level 2
I have the same error code, using the MSSQL on the Backup Exec 11d CD. I'm using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 (32-bit, not x64). Any ideas on this? Can't find anything w/Google or TechNet.

Error code is

0x2000E2D3

Message Edited by rgolsen on 04-04-200706:29 AM

Doug_Williams_2
Level 3
I have the same problem on my server.  Windows 2003 x32, SQL 2000, BE 11d.  I am getting identical error messages when I try to start the "Backup Exec Device & Media Service". 

What is your hardware?  I am using a Dell 2850 server, Adaptec SCSI 39160/3960D, and Dell PowerVault 124t Autoloader with a Quantum DLT VS160 Tape Drive installed.  There is also a Dell PowerVault 100T DAT72 internal.

This configuration was working.  I do not know what was done to break it.  If anyone has any suggestions, please jump in.

--Doug

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Please check HKLM\software\symantec\bedatabase\
Does it have the proper server name?

Is the Databse attached in SQL?

Doug_Williams_2
Level 3
I found it, but the REG path is a ittle different:

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\

The information is correct.  The server name is there with no instance name.

rgolsen
Level 2
We are using a Dell PowerEdge 6850, with PERC 5/e and PERC 5/i, same SCSI card as yours. It also has an MD1000 disk array. It's all brand new.

Not certain, but I think our problems may be related to the fact we changed the server's hostname just before putting it into production (AFTER installing BE 11d). It was necessary to keep the same hostname as the server we retired. I think the SQL instance is linked to the hostname and therefore was unable to connect after the hostname was changed. We have another (PE2950) server that replaced a retired server and 11d works fine, but 11d was installed after the hostname was changed.

For now I have completely uninstalled BE 11d and SQL Express, and I'm using ntbackup.exe. At some point I will try reinstalling BE 11d and SQL Express.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
You can run the BEutility.exe to change the server name.
Running this should clear up any thing that is not correct in the registry for the old server name.
You will run the "Update Configuration for New Media Server Name" in the Beutility.exe.

rgolsen
Level 2
Yep, that works. Thanks Patty!

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Your welcome.
Have a great day.

Paulus
Level 3
Doug,

1)
Referring to your reply #8 : what do you see in the registry for the Instance names ?
Catalog Database Instance Name
Server Database Instance Name

The thing is: when I use the BEUtility to check my database, everything seems normal.
But when trying to start this Backup Exec Device & Media service, error 536928979 shows up.
Also, my media server (the only one there is) status shows as "Unknown" in BEUtility...

2)
Another question : are you using a service account for all  Backup Exec services ?
If yes, does this service account  belong  to a particular Local Group  on your Server 2003 ?
I gave the service account (actually it is the SQL service account) all the required user rights via the Domain Security Policy snapin :
  • Log on as a service
  • Act as part of the operating system
  • Create a token object
  • Manage auditing and security log
  • Backup files and directories
  • Restore files and directories

Doug_Williams_2
Level 3
I apologize for not updating the port about my solution, but I think it was a bit unique.  As it truns out, there was a problem in the registry where almost half of the registered dlls for Backup Exec and/or MDAC were pointing to a non-existent (deleted) network drive.  Somehow the drive letter in the path designation for the location of the DLLs had been changed to the home drive "H:\".  I did a search and replace to change the H:\ to a C:\ and restarted.  That fixed my problem.
Unfortunately, I do not remember exactly where in the registry I made these changes, however, it was this thread that lead me to the problem.

Paulus
Level 3
The registry location :
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\BEDatabase\
Catalog Database Instance Name
Server Database Instance Name

If you could indicate what are the values for the above 2 keys, I can analyze the format of what is supposed to be there... Just the SQL server name, or just the database name, or both, ...

Many thanks !

Doug_Williams_2
Level 3
As I mentioned in my previous port, my problem is fixed. 

Here are all the entries under that key:

(Default)
Catalog Database Instance Name:
Catalog Database Server Name: Catalina
Server Database Instance Name:
Server Database Server Name: Catalina

Message Edited by Doug Williams on 06-22-200710:34 AM

mnegrinho
Level 2
Hi there,
Old post but same problem here.

We have installed BE11d in Windows 2003 R2 Server (Server04), the Database is in a different local server (Server02) Windows 2003 Server R2 w/ MS SQL Server 2000 SP4.

The Backup Exec Services in Server04 don't start in any possible way! in the eventvwr i get this message:
Event ID 58068: The Backup Exec Device and Media Service could not start because the database recovery has failed.  Refer to the database recovery log for details.

In registry:
Catalog Database Instance Name: xpto
Catalog Database Server Name: Server02
Server Database Instance Name: xpto
Server Database Log Path: d:\sql_logs
Server Database Path: E:\SQL_Data
Server Database Server Name: Server02

The DB is correctly attached at SQL Server

I run Beutility.exe i see the Media Server Server04 with status unknown!

Please Help

mnegrinho
Level 2
dbrecover.log
Backup Exec Database Recovery
08/30/07 16:01:27
Initializing...
BEGetComputerName = 'SERVER04'
GetBeVirtualServerName = ''
Using node name for media server
Data for BE database:
Structure size: 6500
Media Server  : SERVER04
Node, if clust:
SQL Server    : SERVER02
Instance Name : XPTO
SQL Instance  : SERVER02\XPTO
SQL Service   : MSSQL$XPTO
Database      : BEDB
App Data Path : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data
Database Path : E:\SQL_DATA\
Database Log  : D:\SQL_LOGS\
Database File : E:\SQL_DATA\\BEDB_dat.mdf
Database Log  : D:\SQL_LOGS\\BEDB_log.ldf
Backup File   : E:\SQL_DATA\\BEDB.bak
Base File     :
Base Log File :
Is Local      : TRUE
IsDatabaseMgr : TRUE
Recover database using best method..
OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=SERVER02\XPTO;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0
Database BEDB is ONLINE
OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=SERVER02\XPTO;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0
Getting files for database 'BEDB'
GetDatabaseFiles: GetNextResult success dbRowCount=-1
Database exists - nothing to do
Setting up for IDR...
Getting files for database 'master'
GetDatabaseFiles: GetNextResult success dbRowCount=-1
Getting files for database 'model'
The statement has been terminated.
Cannot insert the value NULL into column '', table ''; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
OS ERROR: 0x80040e2f (-2147217873)
Deinitialize...
Process completed
08/30/07 16:01:28

Paulus
Level 3
Mnegrinho,
If I recall well, I finally gave up on trying to use the migrated database file, and I re-installed BuExec by having it generate a new database from scratch.
I started having the problem after formatting the server on which the MS SQL database was running, and trying to have my BuExec use the restored version on the new MS SQL server. Couldn't get that to work. Same problems as you described.
So I decided to re-install BuExec, as the historical info was not that crucial to me.
If you still can, note down all the job names, options, paths and all the info for your current scheduled jobs.
I had to re-enter them from scratch. Don't forget the Tools -> Options... in your main BUEXEC window.

Rich_Weber
Level 2
I get the same problem after my upgrade.

after reading some of what's been posted. I can tell you right away that I have NO settings in the BE database regsitry key mentioned. It's completely empty.

When I run BEDiag.exe I get this.

Placing output in bediag.txt
Currently processing (server name)
Operation failed: DBU_ERROR_UNABLE_TO_GET_DATABASE_SIZE (24), OS error 0x80004005
Operation failed: DBU_ERROR_UNABLE_TO_GET_SCHEMA_VERSION (26), OS error 0x80004005
Operation failed: DBU_ERROR_UNABLE_TO_GET_LOGIN_CONFIG (25), OS error 0x80004005

However, I can connect to the database in sql Server Manager. I'm running sql server 2005 express. For some reason those keys got wiped out and were not populated upon upgrading. During my install, it did say that the upgrade failed to migrate the database, and that all my job settings and devices would have to be setup again.

Thanks, any help is very appreciated.

Regards,
Rich

Message Edited by Rich.Weber on 09-25-2007 09:19 AM