cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem migrating from 11d to 2010

Jon_Etkins
Level 3
I'm replacing an aging Win2k3 server running BE 11d (11.0.7170) with a new Win2k8 box running BE 2010 (13.0.2896). I'm following the instructions at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318321.htm but I'm striking a problem with the final catalog reindex step:
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>catrebuildindex -r CatUpgUseSqlCmd: false Starting the upgrade of the catalog database CatUpgrade: rebuildDatabase=true Reloading Catalog Schema RunSQLCommand: UPDATE ControlInfo SET ControlValue = 1 WHERE ControlKeyword = 'Major Version' OR ControlKeyword = 'Minor Version' Execute command: UPDATE ControlInfo SET ControlValue = 1 WHERE ControlKeyword ='Major Version' OR ControlKeyword = 'Minor Version' OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=Blackbox2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0 Starting the upgrade of the catalog database schemaCDBOperation::GetBEWSCatalogSchemaVersion sqlServerName=BLACKBOX2 sqlInstanceName=BkupExec dbName=BEDBOpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=Blackbox2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0 CatUpgrade: Catalog Schema 1.1 CatUpgrade: Schema Upgrade to 13.0 from pre 12.5 via Reindexing RunSQLScript via dbutil: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\betopcat.sql dbutil RunSQLScript: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\betopcat.sql SQLServer:BLACKBOX2 SQLInstance:BkupExec DatabaseName:BEDB OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=Blackbox2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0 CDBOperation::GetBEWSCatalogSchemaVersion sqlServerName=BLACKBOX2 sqlInstanceName=BkupExec dbName=BEDBOpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=Blackbox2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0 CatUpgrade: Schema Upgrade to 13.1 from 13.0 Catalog Upgrade Script File c Not Found in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\CDBOperation::GetBEWSCatalogSchemaVersion sqlServerName=BLACKBOX2 sqlInstanceName=BkupExec dbName=BEDBOpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=Blackbox2\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x0 CatUpgrade: SchemaUpgrade Catalog Schema Version= 13.0 CatUpgrade: SchemaUpgrade failed. C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>
What I find puzzling is the statement I've highlighted, which appears to indicate it's trying to upgrade the schema past the current version - 2010 is 13.0 yet the final failing step appears to be trying to go from 13.0 to 13.1! Any and all suggestions welcomed. Right now I can see all my old jobs, media, and devices, but not any previous backup contents.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jon_Etkins
Level 3

In an effort to see if there were other options that I could pass to the catrebuildindex command, I ran "catrebuildindex -?".  It didn't give me a list of available parameters as I had hoped, but instead it appears to have actually preformed the reduild/upgrade that I was trying to achieve in the first place!

CatUpgrade: catUpgrade : Synchronizing Catalog Index Complete
The catalog database was upgraded successfully
Total catalog files found: 151
Total catalog files migrated: 151
Total catalog files skipped: 0

I can now see all the contents of the existing backups from my old sever, so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

It's possibly due to your catalogs not carrying across (I trust you have a backup of the Catalogs folder?).
Open up a command prompt, and navigate to your installation of BE 2010.
From there, run bemig, as per the tech article below.
This should migrate your catalogs. If they were wiped out by your upgrade (which does happen on the odd occasion for some reason), there won't be anything to migrate...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286729.htm

Laters!

Jon_Etkins
Level 3
Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately, I don't believe that's the problem.

Per the procedure in the article I cited, I have already successfully copied and updated the <i>database</i> with the bemig command, which is what allows me to see the jobs, media, etc.   The problem is with the the next step: catalog migration.  I have copied the catalog directory from the old machine per the instructions, but the reindex command is failing.

I thought perhaps it was due to the fact that the catalog files are in a subdirectory of /catalog which is named for the server, but renaming that directory to match the new server's name has no effect - the reindex command still fails with the same error at the same point.

Jon_Etkins
Level 3

In an effort to see if there were other options that I could pass to the catrebuildindex command, I ran "catrebuildindex -?".  It didn't give me a list of available parameters as I had hoped, but instead it appears to have actually preformed the reduild/upgrade that I was trying to achieve in the first place!

CatUpgrade: catUpgrade : Synchronizing Catalog Index Complete
The catalog database was upgraded successfully
Total catalog files found: 151
Total catalog files migrated: 151
Total catalog files skipped: 0

I can now see all the contents of the existing backups from my old sever, so I'm going to leave well enough alone.