cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with CatDump XML file

Cluracan
Not applicable
I'm trying to export a file listing from BackupExec of certain tapes (long-term archives) for importing into a SQL database so we can keep track of what files are on which tape so the users can search them and let us know what they want back.  I've started writing the app in VB using the XmlTextReader class; however, it has a problem reading lines that have a filename with an ampersand ("&") in it.  From what I've read, it seems that any "&" character in an XML attribute needs to be terminated by a semi-colon; so any "&" character in a filename should have been exported to XML as "&".  By association, I'm going to assume that any other "special" character in a filename is going to cause problems, such as a single apostrophe ( the ' symbol, which should be "'").  See http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp for more examples.

My question is this: am I reading this correctly?  And if so, is there a way I can get CatDump to export properly to XML?  Or am I wrong, and am I going about this the wrong way?  I'm no expert VB coder, I just know enough to do some basic SysAdmin things, although more usually with VBScript, and I've never worked with XML before, so I'm on an upward learning curve.  I suppose I could go through with a simple find-and-replace before hand, but

Any help (or an RTFM pointer to a helpful doc) would be appreciated.
0 REPLIES 0