Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Media Server access to shared folder

david_coote
Level 3
Partner
Hi
I'm struggling with a duplicate backup task. Our CAS delegates a duplicate backup job to a media server which has 2 tape devices in a cascade.

The job fails with <Job Duplicate> -- The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

The Media Server can view the shared folder and select the backups to duplicate etc. It seems to make no difference if I create the job on the Media Server or on the CAS.
Log reports: Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

Tapes are appendable and the job option is set to append or overwrite.
If I restart the services on the Media Server sometimes it works but at this moment nothing is working. Some jobs fail after pre-processing for a while and some jobs start straight away write about 3 or 4GB and then fail. We have 2 backup to disk volumes - one on a NAS shared via Windows SMB to both machines and the other a physical disk mounted on the CAS shared via windows SMB.
Both machines are domain controllers, the CAS is using w2k8 and the media server w2k3. Neither are in a cluster.
It makes no difference if I run the job manually from either server or from a profile or from either backup to disk folder.

Is it normal to get these messages?
BESERVER: [01/05/09 15:10:22] [7828] "Cluster" key does not appear to be present in the registry
BESERVER: [01/05/09 15:10:22] [7828] Failed to open Microsoft cluster ()
BESERVER: [01/05/09 15:10:22] [7828] VCS cluster keys do not appear to be present in the registry
BESERVER: [01/05/09 15:10:22] [7828] Failed to open VCS cluster ()
1 REPLY 1

chicojrman
Level 6
Workaround:
There are two ways to resolve the issue:
1. Stop and disable Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server Search Service. If the search service is required for operation, refer to the second workaround.
2. Perform the following:
a. Stop all Backup Exec services.
b. Browse to C:> Program files> Symantec> Backup Exec and rename the file bedssps2.dll to bedssps2.old
c. Stop and restart all Backup Exec Services and retry the backup.