cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with backing up backup to disk folers

Duncan_Ricks
Level 3
Hi all,

I am having some problems backing up my backup-to-disk folders. We have recently installed a PowerEdge 2850 with a IBM Ultrium 3 Tape drive and a PowerVault 220s (1TB) attached both on separate SCSI cards from the server.

The backups from file to disk from all the different servers around the company using the AOFO work fine creating all the bkf files in the backup-to-disk folders and I can verify the bkf files and restore for them fine.

My problem starts when I try to backup the bkf files, (to send off site) after the incremental backups during the week and full backup on Friday a tape transfer job runs backing up the bkf files. The first night it will work fine but when it comes to the second/third night I always get an error like these whether it be backing up the full or incremental files:

Backup-
E: BACKUPSWARNING: "E:\BACKUP\Tuesday Inc\B2D000156.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Unable to open the item E:\BACKUP\Tuesday Inc\B2D000181.bkf - skipped.
WARNING: "E:\BACKUP\Wednesday Inc\B2D000154.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "E:\BACKUP\Wednesday Inc\B2D000157.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "E:\BACKUP\Wednesday Inc\B2D000183.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Verify-
E: BACKUPSWARNING: "B2D000156.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "B2D000154.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "B2D000157.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "B2D000183.bkf" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Yet if I restart the server and run exactly the same backup (and I use the AOFO option on these backups too) the job will complete successfully with no problems. I currently have to restart the server every night to keep the backups working correctly. I have called Dell support as I had concerns about the server (drivers etc) but they tell me its a software problem as I do get successful backups!

Thanks
Duncan
4 REPLIES 4

Duncan_Ricks
Level 3
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum I use 10d not sure if it makes a big difference!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you doing a standared/copy backup or are you doing a DUPLICATE job?

By doing a DUPLICATE, you can restore directly from tape, rather than having to restore the BKF Files, inventory/Catalog/Restore user data

You can also setup policies so that the B2T is started as soon as the B2D completes

Duncan_Ricks
Level 3
This sounds good; so I would in fact be backing up just the once and writing the data to the tape and the HDD at the same time? This could solve my problem, is there a document on how to do this? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Duncan:

The backups would not be running to two target devices (Tape and Disk) at the same time. Rather the duplicate to tape would occur immediately after the backup to disk.

The Tech Note below will explain how to set up a duplicate job.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/256096.htm

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Backup Exec for Windows Servers Free E-mail Support
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/email_forms/intro_emailsup.aspMessage was edited by:
Joshua Kane