cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with backuping Lotus Domino (databases are in use - skipped)

jernej_vodopive
Level 3
After two weeks of successful backup of Domino databases we noticed "Database is in use - skipped" errors - backup failed for all domino databases (full&diff). After some failed backup jobs I stopped domino server and made full backup with domino off-line. Backup of domino databases completed without errors after that.
Last friday I've made another successful backup of domino server (on-line) but I am worried about this problem.

Media server is running on Windows 2000 with all security patches.

Domino server is running on Windows 2003 with SP1.
The version of domino server is 6 and the version of Backup Exec is 10d (5629).
9 REPLIES 9

pippo_pippo_2
Not applicable
Once I had the same problem, solved installing sp3, but now here I am: the lotus database creates problems, now backup doesn't start at all.
The help assistant suggest me to install the HotFix 17 but I don't know if it was still included in sp3 or not...I've got no ideas!

Anyone can help us?

Thanks in advance.

Bye,
Luca.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
-Please check if the .nsf files skipped are from the Lotus database if not these can be excluded from the selection list.
-Are you using the Lotus agent for backup?
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

jernej_vodopive
Level 3
Yes, these .nsf files are from the Lotus database - all of them.

Yes, we are using the Lotus Notes agent.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
You may also disable active file exclusion as per the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152
- Refer this technote too:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277612
- There are some files installed by third-party applications to the Lotus Domino directory, that are not valid backup targets for Backup Exec. The most common files which are skipped are the database and template files installed by Norton Antivirus for Lotus Domino Server. These files cannot always be protected as they are locked by the third-party software application.
Examples of these files include:
* nav.ntf
* navdefs.ntf
* navhelp.nsf
Please have the Lotus Domino administrator review skipped files in the Backup Exec job log for backup relevancy and exclude any files that are not identified as valid databases.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

jernej_vodopive
Level 3
All of skipped databases are vaild Lotus Domino mail databases that must be backuped up - we mustn't exlude those databases from backup procedure.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Did you disable active file exclusion as mentioned?

jernej_vodopive
Level 3
No, I haven't disabled active file exclusion because after I shuted down domino and made a full backup we don't have any more problems with backuping domino server.
If the problem repeats I'll disable afe and let you know if that will resolve the problem.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update.

jernej_vodopive
Level 3
The problem reappeared. I modified the registry but the problem was still there - the only difference was that there was no error in a log anymore.