cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with remote agent version 11d

Joe_McHale
Level 3
I have loaded remote agent on a remote computer in my domain. I used a domain adminstrators account to load the remote agent and Backup exec. In job setup windows systems it let me create add the remote computer as a new system. when I attempt to expand the remote it keeps bringing up Logon selection dialog box with an error of access denied.
9 REPLIES 9

Joe_McHale
Level 3
Is this forum monitored by Symantec. I am disappointed that this is the only option one has when evaluating a product for purchase.

STeve_O
Level 5
Try adding the server by IP addres under user defined selection and see if you can expand the server there

Joe_McHale
Level 3
I tried that and it still did not work. I can push to the remote it just will not allow me access

Bank_Delen
Level 3
Joe,

install it from the target server.

Share C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\NT\Agents from your backup server on your network.

Go to your Target server and go to the share.

Select RAWS32 for a 32 bit server and open setup.exe
Select RAWSX64 for a X64 bit server and open setup.exe
Select RAWSIA64 for a IA64 bit server and open setup.exe

Restart

should work

Regards

Alex

Joe_McHale
Level 3
I had initially tried that and got the same results. It turns out what was happening was the default logon account had to be added to the local administrators account on each machine. Even though this account had domain admin privileges. I am not sure why but when I added this account to the local admin account on each machine it started working.

Thanks for all the great advice, and help

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try using an account which has local administrator rights on the remote server and use that account as a logon account in BE to backup the remote server.

Regards,

Nick_Stiglitz
Level 3
I agree Joe.... In the past I really liked their products, but their support has become very bad. I am questioning if I want to spend the large amount of money for my client on these products if Symantec is not going to support them. If you buy a product, you should not have to buy support with it....It should come with it for a period of time...

Jeffrey_Streutk
Level 2
I, too, have the exact same problem. I had it crop up already in early November, when I was still running Backup Exec 9.1. So I tried upgrading to 11D but that did not fix the problem. It definitely does seem to be an authentication and Active Directory related issue, but I work in a small office with a very simple AD structure, and only one GPO.

If there's one thing that seems to be the cause, it's that we added two servers that are DCs running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Release 2 (that "Release 2" is key here, because someone already suggested to me that adding these servers may cause some security changes in AD), right around the time the problem started.

I am using the Domain's Administrator account as the Backup Exec System Logon Account. It is a member of the local Administrators group of the servers that I am unable to connect to. So, Deepali, sorry, that does not fix the problem.

Let me state what I have got in this scenario:

1. The Backup Exec Server running 11D on Windows 2000 Server with all service packs and updates.

2. The two new servers -- I'll call them A and B -- having Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Release 2. They have Exchange 2003 Server Enterprise installed. They are Domain Controllers. (I have absolutely no problem creating all kinds of selection lists for these servers.) These servers were added to our Domain in early November which is about the same time that this problem started.

3. The two servers that I cannot create a selection list from. I'll call them C and D. They are running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise (but NOT Release 2). They are members of the Domain, but are not DCs. I had been backing them up fine till I started getting Access Denied errors in early November, with Backup Exec 9.1.

It is worth mentioning that when logged as Domain Administrator on the server where Backup Exec is installed, and I use Windows Explorer, I can easily browse to Server C or D and view the shares and the files and folders, without ever being challenged for authentication for access.

Just to round things out (but I don't think it's too important for this discussion), I am backing up two more servers, again with no problems, one running Windows 2000 Server, the other running Windows 2003 Server (not Release 2).

I have tried a push install of RAWS, then I tried a local installion of RAWS, for both C and D. Both times the installations completed successfully, and both times RAWS was successfully telling our Backup Exec server that C and D existed. However, when I would create a selection list, by going to the Job Setup tab and selecting New Selection List, then the Favorite Resources level in the tree, then Windows Systems, then C (or D), I get an hour glass for about 20 s and then the Logon Account Selection dialog box. The top of that box has the text:

Failed to access C.domain.com
Logon Account: System Logon Account

Access is denied.

I can try editing the password for the account, or simply create an alernate account, but that is futile. Plus, the System Logon Account works fine for all our other servers.

So with this error, I cannot get further than seeing the Servers C and D -- I cannot see the drive letters or the shares underneath.

I even tried taking servers C and D off the domain and adding them back on. That did not fix the problem.

Jeffrey_Streutk
Level 2
So many people in this forum, and nobody can help us out with this problem???