cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with restoring Event Logs

Tomasz_Cieloch
Level 2
Hi, I have problem with restoring Event Logs (Service State->Event Logs) on Windows 2003 Server with Veritas Exec 9.1. I was asked to restore Event Logs (especially secevent.evt) from backup. I've tried to restore Event Logs from 10 days ego backup. The restroring was successful and I've redirected files to c:\tmp.
Unfortunelty in this files wasn't information i was looking for. I've tried to restore Event Logs from 9, 8 days ego in the same way and always restoring was successful (size restoring files in Job Monitor - 535,616 b) but in redirected catalog (c:\tmp) there was no files. I was wondering why because jobs from this days was finished with success. And for the end I've tied to restore Event Log from 10 days ego (like on the beginning) and the same result (no files and size of the restoring files 535,616 b). Can any one can help me with this? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

The event logs are by default backed up when you back up system state in Windows 2000 and Service state in Windows 2003. However if you want to backup the event log files from the drive you would need to go to
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG Directory in case if Windows 2000
and C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG Directory in case if Windows 2003.

Did you check for the *.evt files in the restore tab in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG . Does that show up empty?

Try restoring to some another folder. Was the option to back up open files was selected during backup?

Refer technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/191570

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Tomasz_Cieloch
Level 2
Hi, thank for your answer. I've check for *.evt file in the restore tab in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG but there were no files. How I wrote before I've tried to redirect files to another folder during restore. In the job prioterties during backup there were selected options: On the Advenced Tab selected Option Open file backup when Advenced Open File Option is not not used With a lock, on the Advenced Open File Tab checked Use Advenced Open File Option and selected Automatically select open file technology. Do you have any idea?
Regard
Tom

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Please go through the following Article:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191570

Hope that helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.