cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Creating & Running Backup Jobs with bemcmd.

michael_delaney
Level 2
Hi,

I'm trying to create backup jobs on demand and run them using the command line (bemcmd). Basically i have a data processing service which receives data via sftp processes the data and then stores the processed stuff on a file server, what i need to do is store the originals on tape. I have a dell powervault r610  and am using the trial version of backup exec to determine if it can work for this problem. 

I'm having a couple of issues,  firstly when i try this command, on my local machine with BE running on a remote tape machine (TapeServer, windows 2008) 

bemcmd -cTapeServer.local -o2 -jBATCH89897 -dTapeServer.local -prHigh -sfc:\BackupDrop\Batch_001\ -mp0 -r -w

i get:

Could not connect to the specified server.  RETURN VALUE: -1 

Is there any way to get a more clearer error, e.g. user not allowed etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then when i try it on the actual box itself (with the -c removed)

bemcmd -o2 -jBATCH89897 -dTapeServer.local -prHigh -sfc:\BackupDrop\Batch_001\ -mp0 -r -w  OR 

bemcmd -o2 -j BATCH89897 -d TapeServer.local -prHigh -sf c:\BackupDrop\Batch_001\ -mp0 -r -w
i get:

ERROR: Missing or invalid command line switch '-j'.
 RETURN VALUE: -1

is there something wrong with the formatting of the jobname here?? i.e. -j BATCH00988

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also tried using a script file. 

bemcmd.exe -o90 -fBatchJob.txt

BatchJob.txt

[General]
JOB_TYPE=Backup
JOB_PRIORITY=HIGHEST
JOB_NAME=batch098979
SERVER=TapeServer

[Backup_Options]
BK_SET_NAME=batch098979
BK_METHOD=9
DEVICE_NAME=QuantumTape
PRESERVE_TREE_ON_ARCHIVE=1

[Media_Options]
APPEND=1
APPEND_NO_OVERWRITE=0
VERIFY=1
EJECT_MEDIA=0

[Miscellaneous]

PRINT_LOG_FILE=1
RUN_IMMEDIATE=1

[Selections]
PATH1=C:\BackupDrop\Batch_001\*.*
INCLUDE1=1
SUBDIRS1=1

but this returns 

» bemcmd.exe -o90 -fBatchJob.txt
RETURN VALUE: -1

Any help would be really appreciated!!! :(

0 REPLIES 0