cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems backing up MS Cluster w/ iSCSI shared disk

Brian_Gilbert_2
Level 2
I have a Microsoft cluster of two servers (Windows 2003 SP1 Enterprise) with IP/SANS shared disk that was recently converted from a proprietary vendor driver to iSCSI. I am using the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator 2.0 on the servers. I have 14 shares as shared file systems in the cluster and the shares were all seen by the Backup Exec server when I was using the proprietary driver. Now that I have switched the IP/SANS to iSCSI, I am only seeing 1 of the 14 shared volumes.

The Backup Exec program (9.1 Rev 4691) resides on a non-clustered dedicated backup server. I have the Backup Exec remote agent installed on both of the cluster servers. When I add the cluster server name as "\\cluster-name" in the User Defined Selections of a backup job I only see 1 of the shared resources in the cluster instead of all 14. The share that is "seen" by the Backup Exec server is the most recently added share and the quorum disk for the cluster. Anyone have an idea why the Backup Exec server can no longer see all the shares? Thanks.

Brian
6 REPLIES 6

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You have mentioned that Backup exec can no longer see the clustered shares. Have there been any changes in the configuration which brought about this change?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would

be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered

questions
pool.

Brian_Gilbert_2
Level 2
Amruta,

Like I said in the first post the IP/SANS, that is the shared disk for the cluster, was recently switched from proprietary drivers to iSCSI.

Brian

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Create a new selection list and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would

be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered

questions
pool.

Brian_Gilbert_2
Level 2
Amruta,

The new selection list acts the same as the old one. I see a single drive letter (R:) from the cluster but none of the file shares. The R: drive is the quorum disk for the cluster.

Brian

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Was the proprietary vendor driver giving any problems because of which you converted them to iSCSi ? In the user defined selections, try with the IP address and verify the results.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Brian_Gilbert_2
Level 2
Priya,

We move to iSCSI for better performance and clustering is easier with iSCSI. We were not having any problems with the proprietary drivers.

Using the IP address did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Brian