cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with BUExec 2010 R12

Backupexecfails
Level 3

New install of d/loaded versino of BUExec 2010 R2.

1. It installed a x86 agent onto my XP x64 Pro client. Will back up files/directories, but not system state. Removed x86 agent that was installed by media server, installed x64 agent  - same result. Still will not backup system state.

2. I have two WIndows 7 Pro test clients that WILL NOT install the agent. The x86 agent install properly IDs the OS as incompatible; the x64 agent installs to where the setup program indicates "Removing backup files" and NEVER comletes after that. Have waited three days, still not done. Leaves computer in unusable state if I shut down/restart. Then the agent will not run or  start, will not install or uninstall.

The above are very big issues for me as I have >100 x64 Windows clients and if this product won't meet my needs, I need to stop wasting time trying to get it to work.

3. How to configure the BUExec applicaiton to overwrite whatever is installed in the tape drive, everytime, without question, delay or promoting?

BTW - Having no support on an eval procuct leaves me wanting. I'm evaluating this product and not feeling good about it as I've spent MANY hours on the support site attempting to find answers to no avial. About 60% of the "article" links are 404s (for example all the articles I viewed that refer to the SCL - bad links). Overall my experience with "support" is it's a very confused web board with no useful info.

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are all your >100 Windows clients user machines, rather than servers?  If yes, then you should consider DLO (Desktop & Laptop Option).  BE remote agent licences are pretty expensive and they are meant for backing up servers.

What DLO will do for the user machines is to backup their user data, like My Documents, to the BE media server for subsequent backup onto the backup media of your choice, like tape.  DLO will not be able to backup the whole user machine and restore it.  Obviously, a DLO licence is a lot cheaper than remote agent licences.

If your tape is overwriteable and you job specify that it would orverwrite media, then BE will overwrite the tape without any further prompting.

The reason for the broken links is that there was a switch-over to a new back-end system in the past few months.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Try local install of agents on your windows 7 machines...

The following document helps in doing that...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30491

Also disable User Access Control.

Hope this helps...

Backupexecfails
Level 3

Any more info on XP x64? The x64 agent installed without error and the media sever can backup files & directories but fails on system state.

*Most* of hte x64 clients are pro versions with some servers also. It's a mixed bag. Need to get system state on those boxes so I suspect the agent must bew hte more better/expensive one. Firtunatley we get the .GOV/.EDU pricing.

Backupexecfails
Level 3

So I must conclude this product (the agents, at least) do not work on Windows x64 systems, Yes?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So I must conclude this product (the agents, at least) do not work on Windows x64 systems, Yes?

Since there are umpteen gazillion servers running x64 that backup just fine, I'd say that your conclusion is not justified.

You are having problems, but apparently won't place a paid call to Symantec directly, but want free help here on the boards

(I have set the support flag to call this thread to the attention of Symantec Employees )

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

What is the error you recieve when attempting to backup the system state on those XP x64 machines?

Backupexecfails
Level 3

You are having problems, but apparently won't place a paid call to Symantec directly, but want free help here on the boards

I know, it may seem strange but I am evaluating this product. I liken it to test driving a new car and it stops on the road and wo';t unlock the doors so I need to exit through a window and walk back the the dealer- and then pay for repairs?. Is it wrong of me to expect a new product to work as advertized?

Backupexecfails
Level 3

The backup error is:

error  8004230c - 0x8004230c (2147754764)

and"For additional information..." shows V-79-32772-8972, which loads a browser to eventlookup.veritas.com/..., that auto-forwards to symantec.com/business/support/... V-79-32772-8972. The last link then points to an "article" that asks if files/diretories are backed-up, with no other info.

Yes, files and directories are backed up on this XP x64 box - but does not backup the System State (0 bytes, 0MBmin, etc.).

I still have not been successful in getting the x64 agent to install on my Win7Pro x64 box. The installation never completes.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Nowhere in your original post did you mention anything about being in Eval/demo mode. You merely state that you downloaded and installed the product.

Backupexecfails
Level 3

True, and  I never  mention adding licenses either, The downloaded flavor is described as a "Fully-functional, 60-day license".  Is there a special meaning to "fully functional"? 

The 32-bit nodes in my test lab properly backup the System State.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Give this technote a try.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30634

As for the installation issue on Windows 7, we are going to need a copy of the installation log to figure out what's causing that issue.

Backupexecfails
Level 3

I will try that (check MS Shadow Copy service). Thanks for the tip.

Whic log do you want (dir/name?)? I will collect it on Monday and attach (that box is powered off just now)

Backupexecfails
Level 3

The System State is now working on the XP x64 box. The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider was disabled. Thanks for that article.

Attached is the bkuptemp/log file from the Win 7 pro install - the one that does notcomplete.