cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Backup Exec (Servers in a WAN)

Israel
Level 2

Hi!

We have problems with Backup Exec. We are a company We need to implement an application for backup. We downloaded the trial version of its application "Backup Exec" and found that within the local area network is working properly. However, we encountered some problems, so I refer the following questions to clarify:

We need to connect to some external servers that are not in our range of IPs (they are in a WAN) so the question is, Is there any way to launch the backups in this type of network without implementing a VPN ? Not possible What options from Symantec would have to perform backups of these servers?

----

En castellano, por si alguien me puede responder en este idioma.

En  la empresa necesitamos conectarnos a unos servidores externos que no están en nuestro rango de IPs (están en una red WAN) por tanto la pregunta es ¿Hay alguna manera de lanzar las copias de seguridad en este tipo de redes sin necesidad de implementar una VPN? De no ser posible ¿Que opciones tendríamos por parte de Symantec para realizar las copias de seguridad a servidores de este tipo?

---

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

In a WAN as in a different IP range/subnet mask, or on some other site?
If a different IP range/Subnet mask, you can still back up those servers, provided you can get to them from your backup server.
You can use your hosts file to put in the IP address to enable DNS resolution to a name, or simply create a selection list with your WAN server IP addresses. What you will need to do additionally here is create a service account in the domain those WAN servers are in, and add it into your Backup Exec service accounts as well. You will use this account when browsing the servers.

If those servers are on different sites/a different site, consider licensing a full version of Backup Exec, and then backing up to either an exteranl disk/storage, or tape drive. If you want to manage them, you can do so through BackuP Exec Central Administration Server Option (CASO).
Let us know if you need more details...

Laters!

Israel
Level 2
Thank you for responding, but still does not work. I have tried installing the Hamachi to create a VPN but "Backup Exec" displays a communications failure and the backup fails. The error is V-79-57344-65072.

Is there any objection to having two networks configured on the server support?

Thanks in advance for the help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

is the router/firewall configured to allow the ports that BackupExec needs

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278944.htm

Israel
Level 2
I have a question. Can I change the ports that Backup Exec needs? If it´s posible, where is the option or the file to do it?

The problem is that we have a server with many ports closed and can not be opened. However thought I could make the backup with a VPN.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Generally BackupEXec will not perform well over a slower,,high latency, limited bandwidth link.  It needs decent bandwidth of at least 10Mb, and low latency, <10ms, and no packet loss.

If your conditions are met, then there is something else to diagnose, but Backup Exec NEEDS a solid and reliable connection that is equivalent to a hub or switch based connection that is local to the servers.  

Israel
Level 2
Thanks teiva-boy, what you say is probably the problem we have.

teiva-boy
Level 6
I'll throw this out to you though....

If you used client side deduplication, it *could* help.  But not 100%.  If you used client side dedupe, you would get a dedupe ration of say 10:1.  In theory, that means you've reduced the data transfer near 10x.  Which means, you've reduced the chance of dropped packets by 10x, reducing the risk of a failed job.  However, BE still needs a reliable link in the end.  It's all hypothetical...  But you can try it out for free if you want in BE2010 for something like 60 days.