cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with backup to disk

wingnut144
Level 4
I am just now exploring the option to use a "backup to disk" and am having problems.  I went through the 'Backup to Disk Wizzard' and thought I was good to go.  I created a share on the server I'd like to store the backup set on, and on the job setup, I have it set as:

When I run a test of the job, I'm getting:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  It appears that the regular jobs are running without any problem using the same username/password.........

Thanks!
Steve
9 REPLIES 9

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi,
The backup user have  permissions (SHARE / NTFS) on the backup-to-disk folder?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

wingnut144
Level 4
Yes, on the share, I have added the default account from Backup Exec to have full permissions to the shared folder.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well the error message is not about not being able to access the Backup to disk folder it is about not being able to access the area you have selected to backup because it can't find a remote agent.

a) What are you selecting to backup?
b) Is what you are sleecting to backup on a remote server?
c) Do you have a remote agent serial number installed on the media server?
d) do you have the remote agent sofwtare installed on the server that you are trying to backup from?

wingnut144
Level 4
I am selecting to backup department shared drives.

A)  I do have a job that is running on that same share that backs up all that data each night to tape, but in the long run I would like to find a way to have a backup made each time a file/folder is changed/modified or created.....

B)  I do have 1 copy of this data on our main server, its not on the server that I am attempting to back up to using the backup to disk feature.

C)  I am using a "trial" of the backup to disk agent, but I do have a remote agent serial number entered yes, thats how I'm getting nightly backups of our data now

D)  Yes, the remote agent software is on the server I'm trying to backup from.

Right now I have the following agents installed on the server......

Plus the Advanced disk-based backup option that is enabled under the 'options available for trial'.....

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Steve,

I agree with Colin - In addition to his questions, is your backup-to-disk folder residing on the BE server itself or another machine?  If the latter, you will need a remote agent license available for that machine to be able to receive the backups.  Normally you'd have to have done this already for that machine's drives to even appear as an available path when creating a B2D folder on it..

Have you updated your BE server at all, and if so, the applicable agent(s)?  Have you had any issues connecting to or querying the agent from your BE server?  The error indicates that there may be a version issue, which could mean on of three things:

(1) You ran LiveUpdate on the BE server and need to update the agent(s) to match
(2) You installed a previous version of an agent on the target machine (i.e. installing a version 12 agent when you seem to be using BE 2010)
(3) You were using an older edition of BE and recently upgraded t0 2010 - to my knowledge you have to get replacement agent licenses when upgrading BE versions as the ones from the older revisions are no longer valid - Colin may be able to comment on that...

You can go to this site:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047

to get Service Packs / updates for your BE server (though using Live Update is generally easier).  You can also get agent updates here, but if you're using Windows-based agents, there's a bit of an easier method.  in your \Symantec\Backupexec folder you'll find RAWSBulkUpdate.exe.  You can run that to check your agent connections and bulk-update them together.  However, you may find this process hangs or times out if there are a lot of updates or if the updates are far enough behind that they need to be applied manually for the bulk updater to work right.

In that case, you can check your Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents folder, where you will find folders for each of the agent types.  If your agents are runing on a 32-bit Windows platform, you'd want the RAWS32 folder for example.  Copy the applicable folder to the machine your agent is running on, and inside is an 'updates' folder, with various .msp files (which are the individual agent updates).  Run these on at a time (preferably in order - some service packs / hotfixes coincide, so you may want to double check the chronological order) and your agent will be brought up to the same revision as that of your BE server.

You can try again to use the bulk updater for future updates at this point, but be aware that you may have to manually update again if it doesn't work for ya.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In addition to his questions, is your backup-to-disk folder residing on the BE server itself or another machine?  If the latter, you will need a remote agent license available for that machine to be able to receive the backups.  

Nope

B2D folder can be on ANY network resource accessible to the BE Service Account

The Remote Agent is only required if you are Backing up or Restoring data from/to a network location.

wingnut144
Level 4
In the current setup, I have BE running on server A, and the backup-to-disk folder/share is on server B.

I have installed the BE agent on Server B, but now when I try to run a test, I'm getting:

Test Backup to Disk -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

I pushed out the BE agent from the BE server, so I'm not sure why the version isn't the same.....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Test Backup to Disk -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Where is the data that you are backing up located?    The remote agent does need to be installed and running on that computer.  Verify that the remote agent is publishing to the media server   (See page 1887 of the Admin Guide)

wingnut144
Level 4
The data that is being backed up is currently being backed up to tape as well, so the remote agent is running on that machine, and appears to be working fine, the tape backups run each night without any problem.