cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with new installation using Quantum DLT-V4 tape

Jerry_Lowry
Level 2
I just installed MS 2003 SBS R2 on a system that has a Quantum DLT-V4 tape drive. I don't know if I missed something during setup of BE 10d or what but every time I try to access the tape media to ( erase, mount....) the job fails with the following error:

Final error: 0x1 - Incorrect function.
Final error category: Other Errors
Completed status: Failed

BE10d show the tape drive and tries to access it but fails to do any operation other than eject the tape.

Any help is appreciated,
thanks,
Jerry
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We suggest you to install the latest device drivers.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/285593.htm

Regards,

Jerry_Lowry
Level 2
thanks, I downloaded the latest driver and tried to install it but it gets about 95% there and rollsback everything. The device installer never starts. It comes back and says that the "wizard was interrupted before the Windows Servers could be completely installed"

Any idea why?

thanks almost there;}

Jerry_Lowry
Level 2
So, I was wrong. NOT almost there......

I loaded the latest driver patch from Symantec and I even tried a long erase. It ran over 17 hours and failed with a Final error: 0x1 - Incorrect function.

Let me reiterate the problem. Tape drive is seen by the system and by BE10d.
Software fails to do anything with the media except to eject and inventory.

System:

Athlon 64 bit processor
512Mb memory
500 Gb of Disk
Quantum DLT-V4 tape drive

Software:

MS Windows Version 5.2(Build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447; Service Pack 1
Symantec Backup Exec 10d quickstart edition

Please help me out here, someone has to know what's going on. Or I can go back to Linux where things just work!

NOT to happy Symantec user,

jerry

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you stop all the BackupExec services, does NTBackup see and access the drive properly?

Have you tried removing the Veritas drives and using Quantum drivers?

Jerry_Lowry
Level 2
If I remove the Veritas drivers and start the Removable Storage service when I try to "free" the media so that I can write to it. MS gives me an I/O error on the device. I have installed the patches that speak to this and they don't fix the problem.

The tape media that I am trying to use was recently used on a different backup system. It has therefore been written on. I have tried three different backup software packages and nothing will overwrite the format that is on the tapes.

Any help would be beneficial...I would like to stick with the Backup Exec it possible.

Previous system was :

Fedora Linux 5
bacula 1.38.11

thanks,

jerry