cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with new tape drive

Dubber_Dan
Level 3
I've installed a Sony SDX-700C AIT3 drive into my Win NT4 exchange server as the capacity of my of drive wasn't greater enough.

Windows has recognised the the drive and show that the driver is loaded. Veritas Backup Exec v 8.0 Rev 3314 detects the drive and show it in the drive list. I have labelled the tapes, but when I refresh the view the media label is still showing as empty.

I've created a new test job but when I run it the job just shows as pending and doesn't go anywhere. The device name is left blank in the Job Monitor even though it is specified in the job.

Any suggestions as to what to try and get it working?
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the devices tab,
is the drive online?
is it enabled for BackupExec?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Dubber_Dan
Level 3
Yep to both.

Dubber_Dan
Level 3
The most recent driver download for verion 8.0 seems to be this but that was 2001 so I don't think it will cover the SDX-700C. Is there a more recent download that will cover this drive or will that download do the trick?

Could it be that 8.0 doesn't support this drive in which case is there an update patch available to something higher like 8.6 that might support it?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
v8,5 is a free upgrade fro v8.0 users, v8.6 is a paid upgrade

see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235770.htm for v8.5.3572rc9.

You should be able to use the latest manufacturer drivers. As long as NT sees the drive in device manager, and as long as NTBackup can access the drive, BackupExec should be able to also.

Dubber_Dan
Level 3
Thanks for that info and link Ken. On the info for that page it says that the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server may be purchased separately as add-ons to Backup Exec. We already have this as an add-on so will the upgrade include this or would it still have to be purchased?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
All v8.5 options should accept coresponding v8.0 serials