cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Exchange Agent

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

I'm migrating from a situation where each of our servers had its own tape drive and full copy of Backup Exec to one where we're considating with virtual machines and migrating to a disk-based backup system.

Our old Exchange 2003 server ran on a Windows 2003 Server machine with Backup Exec and the Exchange Agent installed. Backups and granular recovery worked fine.

Our new server is Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008. This server is actually a VM, so it doesn't have its own tape drive. Do I need to install anything on this server (like the Windows Remote Agent) in order to back it up? Or is having the Exchange Agent installed on the media server enough?

I'm definitely missing something, because when I launch Backup Exec from the media server and browse the network to find my Exchange server, I can see the server but I don't see an option to backup Exchange even though I have the Exchange Agent installed. Maybe this is because I don't have the Exchange Management Tools and MAPI Client installed on the media server yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I need to install anything on this server (like the Windows Remote Agent) in order to back it up?

Exactly.  Every "remote" machine, even a virtual one needs RemoteAgent installed before the media server will talk to it (as well as a RAWS serial on the media server, of course Smiley Wink )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I need to install anything on this server (like the Windows Remote Agent) in order to back it up?

Exactly.  Every "remote" machine, even a virtual one needs RemoteAgent installed before the media server will talk to it (as well as a RAWS serial on the media server, of course Smiley Wink )

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

Okay, so just to be clear...

My Exchange Server (which has no tape drive) would need the Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed.

My server with Backup Exec installed (I guess I should call it the Media Server) would need the Exchange Agent installed.

With the Exchange Agent on my Media Server and the Remote Agent for Windows on my Exchange Server, I should be able to backup the Exchange Server using the Media Server, right?

One other factor... I'm backing up to disk, not to tape drive. Does that make a difference?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

B2D or B2T makes no difference

otherwise, you are correct

(sorry for the late response.  Vacation and then recovering/catching up  Smiley Very Happy     )