cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About The Verify Operation After Backup Is Complete

WindowsNetAdmin
Level 3

I have Backup Exec 2012 ver 14 rev. 1798 running on Windows Server 2003 R2 32 bit, backing up remote server data to a 1 TB eSATA external hard drive. The backup jobs take a few hours while the verify jobs take 8 to 10 hours to complete. Why is that? I have the verify jobs runnig as a separate job after the backup job completes. I read that separating the verify job from the backup job can improve performance but I haven't noticed a performance increase since separating the jobs. Anway, my question is what does the verify job do? I've read that the job confirms the backed up data can be read but doesn't confirm whether the data is good or corrupt data. However, my Google-fu hasn't found the answer to *what* data is accessed by the verify job. Is the verify job running against the data on the Backup Exec backup drive or is is running against the data drive on the remote server? I ask this because the verify jobs take so long to complete. The verify job for our file server, for example, takes on average 10 hours so it is running until noon or 1pm during the working day. Is the verify job running against the file server's hard drive? If so, I want to stop this veriy job from running during production hours so the users are getting the best performance out of the file server. However, if the verify job is running against the backup drive then I see no harm in it running during production hours. 

Thoughts?

Thanks community!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The verify process will not touch the file server.  During the backup process, checksums of the backed up resource are stored along with them.  During the verify process, the media is read back, the checksums recalculated and then compared with the stored checksums.  If all the checksums match, then the verification passses.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The verify process will not touch the file server.  During the backup process, checksums of the backed up resource are stored along with them.  During the verify process, the media is read back, the checksums recalculated and then compared with the stored checksums.  If all the checksums match, then the verification passses.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above comment, here are couple of KB articles as well -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5407

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH18698

WindowsNetAdmin
Level 3

Thank you pkh for the helpful comment. I appreciate it. Sounds like I can leave the verify process alone even during the work day?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes