cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question RE:HyperV Granular Restore

theJonson
Level 2
I've been looking at implamenting Backup Exec 2010 R2 to backup my 2 node hyperv cluster. All my VMs are on a CSV on our ReadyNAS, and both servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2. I was under the impression that the way to implament Backup Exec 2010 R2 to backup HyperV VMs was to do a host based backup by installing the Remote Agent for Windows on to each of the nodes in the cluster, and then I am able to select the cluster in the BE2010R2 selection list, and that this would let me restore individual files from within my Virtual Servers running from the Cluster. However I can't do this, I am able to backup the cluster, but I can only see the VHDs and not the Contents of each individual VM, and when a backup completes using this method I receive an error saying that backup exec "Failed to Mount the Virtual Disk" (I am backing up to a network share) I have read on the forums, that to achieve Granular Restore of Exchange or File Servers, then I have to install the agent inside the VM, if this is the case why am I bothering to install agents on the HyperV servers. Especially when the HyperV agents are £1000 each, and now I have to buy agents for each of my Virtual Servers as well, this just doesn't seem right. My real question must be then: Can Backup Exec 2010 R2 let me backup and restore individual files from within my Virtual Servers, for example a virtual File Server, when only using an Backup Exec agent installed on the HyperV server? As I can not find a way to do this, or am I missing something?
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly the GRT selections for the file system will show up in a different part of the restore selection tree than where the VHD files are - so are you looking in the correct place.

Secondly because to restore a file using Hyper-V file system GRT you need RAWS - then as long as you have the Hyper-V Agent license you are licensed to install the remote agent inside the virtual machines - so you don't have to buy more agents.

Note if you want to do GRT for AD, SQL or Exchange objects you will need the ADRA, SQL or Exchange agents licenses on top of the Hyper-V
one.

theJonson
Level 2
Firstly the GRT selections for the file system will show up in a different part of the restore selection tree than where the VHD files are - so are you looking in the correct place.

Probably not, where should I be looking?

Secondly because to restore a file using Hyper-V file system GRT you need RAWS - then as long as you have the Hyper-V Agent license you are licensed to install the remote agent inside the virtual machines - so you don't have to buy more agents.

Does this mean to get a GRT backup of any VM, I need RAWS only on the HyperV server, or does it need to be pushed to each Virtual Machine?

Thanks for the reply :D

EDIT: Should mention I'm currently using the 60-day Trial, which if I assume correctly contains all the agents needed (I done a full install of everything to test it out)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This document should help with your GRT restore

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/342422.htm

You need to push out the RAWS to each vm if you want to restore a file or database to its original location.  Without installing RAWS in the vm's, you would have to re-direct the files to a different location and then copy/move them to the original location.

You are right to assume that you have all the agents when you are using BE in trial mode.