cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about moving BE 2010 server DB to BE 2010 R3 server

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

I am planning to move the current db from our Backup Exec 2010 (R1) Server, running on Windows 2008 R2 SP1, to a new instance of BackUp Exec 2010 2010 (R3) Server, also running on Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  The servers each have different host names.

Can I simply use the instructions found in Tech Article ID: TECH67296 to do this, or do I need to upgrade the BE 2010 R1 instance to R3 first and then move the database to the new server?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you first upgrade to BE 2010 R3 on this server and then migrate to other server (as PKH suggested) then you will not have to perform the step number 9 mentioned in that article  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

Step 9 in that article is used when migrating from lower version of Backup Exec to higher. So if you are doing a direct migrate without upgrading first to BE 2010 R3 then follow all the steps as per that technote.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It would be better to upgrade to R3 and test that everything is o.k before making the move.

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

Do you know if the same license keys for 2010 R1, apply to 2010 R3?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. They do.  You do not need new keys to upgrade to R3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you first upgrade to BE 2010 R3 on this server and then migrate to other server (as PKH suggested) then you will not have to perform the step number 9 mentioned in that article  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67296

Step 9 in that article is used when migrating from lower version of Backup Exec to higher. So if you are doing a direct migrate without upgrading first to BE 2010 R3 then follow all the steps as per that technote.

Thanks,

-Sush...

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

Thank you, Sush and PKH.  So just to be clear this is the path I'm going to take:

1) Upgrade current BUE 2010 R1 server to BUE 2010 R3 SP1, using the latest ISO download available from FileConnect.
Question: I am assuming that the installer will detect that the already installed version of BE 2010 and just simply upgrade over it?

2. Make sure both the upgraded BUE 2010 R3 server and the new BUE 2010 R3 server have each been updated fully, via LiveUpdate.

3.  Follow the instructions in Tech Article ID: TECH67296 (leaving out step 9), to move the server to it's new location.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  Your assumption and steps are correct.

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

One last question:

In the directions on tech article TECH67296, step 8 includes the sql command:

UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName=<'new-server-name'> WHERE PartitionID =0

a) Does 'new-server-name' need to be in quotes when I issue this command?

b) Is the 'new-sever-name' entry case-sensitive?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No for both your questions.