cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about policy based backups

Deatheye
Level 5
Hi
 Hope I somehow can explain the qustion cause I only have access to german version of backup exec. Makes it kinda hard to find out what the names for the english version are.

Till now we had a job backing up everything we wanted. Now we need to change the backup policy based and I'm running into a problem there.

The Idea:
two jobs every day.
Job 1 backing up nearly everything with open file option
Job 2 running after job one is finished, backing up Exchange information store without open file option

Now If Im generating the jobs from the policy I would get 4 Jobs, cause I'm linking two file selection lists with the policy. One filelist holds the Exchange information store the other one everything else.

Looks like that wouldn't work the way I intended it. What woul be the way to solve this? I don't know about a way to let a job run after the other without having them generated from the same policy.

I thought about using exclutions inside the templates. But that would be insane. Just linking a filelist that holds everything would need exclusions of hundreds of systems. Insane amount of work, and chance of wrong settings.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deatheye
Level 5
Just called Symantec support about this.
Doensn't work.
Looks like they forgott that we are using open file option last time they sent us an Email telling us to use policy based Backups to let the jubs run after each other -.-

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Deatheye
Level 5
Just called Symantec support about this.
Doensn't work.
Looks like they forgott that we are using open file option last time they sent us an Email telling us to use policy based Backups to let the jubs run after each other -.-

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Advanced Open File Option won't work well with Exchange and SQL. I run AOFO with most of my sites, and back up Exchange with the logs clearing like they should. However, Symantec don't support this. With SQL, you cannot redirect your DBs to another SQL server...it will only restore on the same server!
It's a case of: use AOFO and backup all open files, but then risk the chance Exchange and SQL won't back up correctly; or don't.
Why not create your policy (GFS) for your backups using AOFO, and then a seperate backup job with another backup selection list containing only Exchange. On your GFS policy, you can create a rule for your Exchange backup to run immediately after your daily/weekly/monthly etc. Just make sure you can append to your tape.

Deatheye
Level 5
Why not create your policy (GFS) for your backups using AOFO, and then a seperate backup job with another backup selection list containing only Exchange. On your GFS policy, you can create a rule for your Exchange backup to run immediately after your daily/weekly/monthly etc. Just make sure you can append to your tape.

I tried to make two jobs, letting them run after each other. But that didn't work. Linkin the policy with two selection list created 4 Jobs.
The two Backups I defined inside the policy both used both selection lists. Thats excatly why I called the support and they told me this doesn't work.
So if I'm not getting you wrong you're suggesting excatly what I tried and didn't work, and according to the support is not possible. Or am I missing something?
The only way I know of to let different jobs run after each other is creating them with the same policy. Which is usless cause I can't link different file list to the template inside the policy. Every File selection list would be connected to every template. Generating 4 Jobs out of 1 Policy with 2 Templates and two file selection lists.

We are in contact with symantec support cause of a problem with our exchange server backup. That's why the told us to only use AOFO to backup all the other stuff but not the Exchange.