cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about "eject the media after job complete" option

PGG
Level 2

Hi guys,

Finally I've understood BE2012. It took 2 weeks but my backups are (almost) running fine.

I have a server group with 7 Servers that I need to backup and I'm using a Dell TL2000 library. All my jobs are scheduled to 9 pm and I have setup them using the "Add Backup Jobs By Method" option, so each job will create the daily/weekly/monthly backups.

The only question I have is how do I eject the media after all servers' backup are complete? If i check the "eject the media after job complete" option on each job, will it request a tape for each server or eject after the last server has been backed up?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The eject option is for stand alone (non-library) drives.

Libraries move tapes from drives to slots and vice-versa as part of their operation (so no special jobs needed) If you want to get the tape out of the library and the library has a mailslot then you use an Export job.

EDIT If the library does not have a mailslot then any operations have to be done using the library software, or front panel.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver

The eject option is for stand alone (non-library) drives.

Libraries move tapes from drives to slots and vice-versa as part of their operation (so no special jobs needed) If you want to get the tape out of the library and the library has a mailslot then you use an Export job.

EDIT If the library does not have a mailslot then any operations have to be done using the library software, or front panel.

PGG
Level 2

Hi Colin,

First of all, thanks for your fast response.

If I understood what you've said, the "Export job" that you said is the "Export media after job completes" option?

If so, in what job do I need to use that option? I cannot select what server will be the last server to be backed up.

Thanks!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

you may Try the Export media to vault after job completes.

Look at page 193 in admin guide for this option

PGG
Level 2

Hi,

For example, if I backup 3 servers (SRV1, SRV2 and SRV3) I am not able to set the backup order (I don't know which server will be the first or the last to be backed up). Do I need to set "Export media to vault after job completes" on all jobs?

It is not clear for me where should I set the option to export the media: on a unique job, on all jobs or on the servers group.

Am I clear?

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

You will have to specifically schedule one job so that you know it runs last and configure that job with the option.

Colin_Weaver

If you set teh export on all jobs then each job will use a different tape.

You have to stagger the start times of the job for each server and only set the export on the last job.

PGG
Level 2

You have to stagger the start times of the job for each server and only set the export on the last job.

I can set mu backup order using the start times. If I need my backup as SRV2, SRV1 and them SRV3 I can set the starting order, for example, for 9:01pm, 9:02pm and 9:03pm. The SRV1 and SRV3 backups will be in queue until SRV2 finishes... And them set the SRV2 job to export the media.

Right?

Colin_Weaver

That is true for a stand alone drive not sure if there are complications within a library