cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Exchange and GRT

AlexV
Level 3

I'm currently working on redoing the backup job for our current Exchange DAG with our backup exec 16 server. While reading the documentation for the best practices here ; 

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/72686287-129480082-0/v70444341-129480082

I came upon this : 

Veritas recommends that you do not send an incremental GRT-enabled Exchange backup to a deduplication disk storage device. The transaction logs contain primarily unique data that does not deduplicate well. For best results, create a backup definition that runs a full backup of Exchange to a deduplication disk storage device, and then runs an incremental backup to a disk storage device.

We are using a deduplication store and simple disk storage. Now I'm wondering if I need to create 2 differents jobs for this. I mean ; 

When creating a single policy for the backup job, I choose to send the full backup of all the mailboxes, once a week to the dedup store and the incremental to a simple disk everyday. The GRT is enable in this job. I can't choose to enable or disable the GRT for a full or an incremental independantly in the same policy definition.

So is the software intelligent enough to disable GRT for the full and to let it on for the incremental backup? Or do I need to create 2 job policies, one for the Full to the dedup with GRT off and another one for the incremental?

Thx for any clarification regarding this.

1 REPLY 1

MilindP
Level 4

Hi Alex,

If you disable GRT for Full it will not allow GRT for incremental backups in that policy. You can run Full on Deduplication folder and incremental on Disk Storage in the same policy and should not face any problems as long as the FULL GRT backup is available.