cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Veritas Netbackup Client v5.0 and Veritas Backup Exec 10.0

Adrian_Davey
Level 2
What I need to know is can they both be installed on a Windows 2000 server and run at the same time.

Any ideas guys ?
6 REPLIES 6

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Yes, backup Exec 10.1 can be installed on a windows 200 server OS. How can the Netbackup client be installed on a windows OS?
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
No, they don't co-exist well. They will fight over the ndmp port 10000.

I'm not sure about version 5/6, but with Netbackup 4.5 it would not install the client if the BE Remote Agent was installed even if the service was stopped. If you could get both installed, you would need to stop the services of one (either BE remote agent or Netbackup client) while the other is running.

Adrian_Davey
Level 2
Hi.
The 2000 server is already running
Netbackup Client 5.0 which is fine .....and gets backed up to a completely different building.

What we wanted was a local version as well to backup to an attached tape drive so we bought another copy of Veritas Backup exec this time version 10.0 but even though it has a Clean health check when its installed it competes for the service entry and neither will then work.
Resolution was to unload the version 10 which allowed the Netbackup version to run again ....

I was checking if they could both be installed on the same server ?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

NetBackup and Backup Exec are incompatible. They will NOT work on the same machine. Testing here in our labs has proven it to be incompatible.
You can read Backup Exec tapes with the Backup Exec Tape Reader option. See page 327 of the NetBackup System Administrator’s Guide for Windows, Volume I
Here is a link to the manual: http://support.veritas.com/docs/268192

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you considered making the client a SAN media server with the attached drive as the storage unit?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Adrian,

Update us on the same Issue and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.