cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Backup Exec 2012 & Exchange 2007 backups

VulcanCowboy
Level 2

In "Best practices for Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74428)" says "Run Exchange backup jobs separately from other backup jobs".  I'm not sure I understand this statement.  Does that mean on each of my 4 Exchange servers I need to create at least 2 jobs; 1 that backs up the files and folders (and presumably not the Exchange databases) and a 2nd job to back up the Exchange databases?  If so, why?

I just upgraded from Backup Exec 12.5 to 2012 and am trying to figure things out.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Because when you backup Exchange you will turn off AOF, whereas for the file backup job you will turn on AOF

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Because when you backup Exchange you will turn off AOF, whereas for the file backup job you will turn on AOF

VulcanCowboy
Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply, I feel pretty stupid, but what is AOF? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
AOF = Advanced Opened File. This is the facility to enable you to backup files which are opened during the time of the backup. It is in the job properties

VulcanCowboy
Level 2

OK, found it.  It appears to be enabled by default.  Here are the current settings for my Exchange backups:

• Full backup to tape (everything selected, see screen shot).  Once per week (every Friday evening).
  • Incremental backups nightly except Fridays when the Full backup runs.
  • AOF is enabled.

So, is this configuration OK?  I have successfully restored individual mail messages.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You should separate out your Exchange backup to another job and turn AOF OFF in that job.