cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Backup strategy

Ryan_Vaillancou
Level 3
I'm using Backup Exec 10 for Windows 2000 and I would like some help trying to figure out which scenario fits me best. My question is regarding the Backup Method on the general page of the backup job properties. Right now I have two weeks worth of tapes on rotation doing a 50gig backup compressed onto 40/80 tapes. These backups are set to Full - Backup FIles - Reset Archive Bit.

Once each tape has had a full backup I'd like to switch to a backup that backs up files changed since the full backup (incremental, i guess) but I'm not sure how this gets written to the tape. If I set the incremental job to overwrite does that mean it overwrites older files on the tape or will it overwrite fromthe beginning of the tape? I don't want to append because I don't have a lot of room for that.

What are your suggestions for me so I can do a full backup to each tape and then switch to an incremental that overwrites only older data without appending the data to the end of the last backup?
1 REPLY 1

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. each time you overwrite a tape it overwrites the data on tape and all the previous backups done to the tape are destroyed, this data can no longer be overwritten.

2. If you overwrite the full backups with the incrementals. neither of the backups will be availble to you. Full are unavailable since they are overwritten and the incrementals are useless without the Full backup.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.