cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding barcode labels

noodles
Level 4
Hi,

we have got BE 10.1 running on Windows Server 2003.
Attached is an HP MSL 6030 with two LTO3 drives., working well.

Because tape handling is becoming diificult we would like to switch to barcodes.
The library does support barcodes.

Now my question: We have got existing tapes with written data and we like to keep this data but would like to use new labels (barcodes).
I have read http://support.veritas.com/docs/190875 but I am not sure if BE overwrites the data on the tape.
In the manual I have read that BE uses barcodes automatically coactive if enabled for the device and existend on the the tapes.

So what happens if I switch the MSL6030 and BE to barcode scanning, put barcodes on the existing tapes, insert them, initialize, scan and run an inventory?

Another question: We have got LTO2 and LTO3 Tapes.
Is there anything we have to consider when using barcodes?
(We have got barcodes for LTO2 and LTO3)

Last one: Is it possible to mix tapes: Tapes with barcodes and tapes without barcodes?

Thanks in advance
/StefanMessage was edited by:
Stefan Delfs
8 REPLIES 8

noodles
Level 4
Hi,

has nobody ever switched from "manual" labellling to barcodes?

Thanks in advance
/Stefan

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Stefan,

Regarding the first question "We have got existing tapes with written data and we like to keep this data but would like to use new labels (barcodes).
I have read http://support.veritas.com/docs/190875 but I am not sure if BE overwrites the data on the tape ",

- please note that when barcode is applied to a tape, only the label will be changed from normal label to that of barcode label. This will not overwrite the existing data on the tape.

However, to be on safer side, you can first test it. For that take a small backup on a normal tape. Once data is present on it, put a barcode on it. Enable barcode rules in Backup Exec. Now as barcode rule is enabled, instead of inventory, perform Initialize and scan on it. This should read the data on the media and catalogs will be seen.

Regarding another question of "So what happens if I switch the MSL6030 and BE to barcode scanning, put barcodes on the existing tapes, insert them, initialize, scan and run an inventory"

- As said above, when barcode rule is enabled, you need to perform Initialize and Scan and not Inventory job. This is because, when barcode rule is enabled, you need to perfom Initialize and Scan as it should be done. Inventory job will fail.

The third question of "We have got LTO2 and LTO3 Tapes.
Is there anything we have to consider when using barcodes?
(We have got barcodes for LTO2 and LTO3)"

- You do not have to specifically consider anything when using barcodes for these tapes.

About the last question "Is it possible to mix tapes: Tapes with barcodes and tapes without barcodes?"

- Usually it is better if you use all the tapes having either barcode rule enabled or normal tapes.

Hope this answers your querries.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

noodles
Level 4
Hi,

thank you for the answer!

"Enable barcode rules in Backup Exec. Now as barcode rule is enabled, instead of inventory, perform Initialize and scan on it. This should read the data on the media and catalogs will be seen."

In the Admin Guide it is said that enabling barcode rules is neccessary when using diffeerent types of drives.
Is that Right?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
/Stefan

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

If a robotic library uses different types of drives and supports the use of bar code labels, Backup Exec software can be set up to identify which media type can be used with each drive type. This is done by associating a bar code label with a prefix or a suffix that corresponds to a certain type of media. When Backup Exec software reads that bar code label, it locates the type of media that corresponds to the prefix or suffix, and then mounts the media into a drive that accepts that type of media. Both the prefix and the suffix can be used if necessary.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

noodles
Level 4
So I do not need those rules when I only have similar drives but want to user barcodes?

Regards

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
- correct.

Bar code rules are there to make your life easier, IF you want to use them. BUT, if both drives are the same type, you DO NOT need to use them.

When would you use them? Imagine you have two different drives in your library - an LTO-2 and and LTO-3. Imagine further you have some old LTO-1 cartridges to which you want to write. LTO-1 can be read by LTO-3, but written only in LTO-2 drives. So, you get appropriate L1 and L3 labels, and THEN use rules, to make sure the LTO-1 cartridges get used only by the LTO-2 drive.

Cheers

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please let us know whether the query has been answered?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

noodles
Level 4
Thanks you very much, that's what I wanted to know!

/Stefan