cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queued Dup Job

navar_holmes
Level 5

I have a tape library with two FC LTO-4 drives.

My library is listed as Library02 with IBM 0001 and IBM 0002.

All my policies are told to use Library02.

I have been having a few dup jobs that que up waiting for IBM0001 when IBM0002 is free.

I look at the start times and current job using IBM0001 started 45 minutes before the qued up job.

What is going on?

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I take it that you have 1 x Library Expansion Option (LEO) license installed for the 2nd drive to be enabled and used within BE?

If not, you need 1 of these. Buy 1, load it and the second drive will work.

BE has a license for 1 drive in an autoloader/library, and every extra drive in that autoloader/library needs 1 x LEO license

Thanks!

navar_holmes
Level 5

I have the library licensed correctly.  This just started happening.  The server has been on-line for a 18 months.

At other times jobs will use both drives at the same time.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ensure symantec drivers are being used for the tape drives & microsoft driver for the changer

Delete the library/drives from the UI & perform a power-cycle.

Recreate the policy & check if the other drive is being used or not.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you onsite when the 2nd job ques up. Please verify that the 2nd drive is infact free and not being occupied by anything. 

navar_holmes
Level 5

This is very frustrating.  The microsoft drivers wiggled their way in again.

Used the Tapeinst to replace th drivers.  Rebooted.

I then select two tapes and did a quick erase and both drives got used at the same time.

Come this morning a same problem.

I dont understand why BE loses its brain every so often.

Are you saying that i need to delete the policy or delete the jobs created by the policy.

navar_holmes
Level 5

Looking at the job history I see that both tape drives were being used at the same time.

IBM0001 started at 3:26am and finished at 3.42am

IBM0002 started at 3.33am and finshed at 6:57am.

Clear over lap in start times.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just to clarify Navar... when you came in this morning the drivers on the tape devices were no longer SYMC but Microsoft?

navar_holmes
Level 5

So deleting the tape drives is the easy part.

Deleting the library not so.

When I try to delete the library i get prompted to retarget job (1 of 34).

Name: Duplicate Backup Sets 00025.

I don't know what this is assocated with.  There is a Selection list with the same name.  When i go to edit it, it tell me that it is currently being used by the following jobs: Duplicate Backup Sets 00025.

When i look under View Selection Details it shows <Catalog Not Found> [Set 1]/SUBDIR.

Do i need these Duplicate Backup Sets and can I delete them and how.

navar_holmes
Level 5

I had been doing firmware/driver updates on the library and the QLogic card and sometime during them reboots the Microsoft drivers re-installed themselves.  I did the very same steps on the other BU server and all the drivers stayed in place.

Yesterday i replaced the drivers with SYMC drivers.

With my last post it is wierd that same policy will use both drives at the same time but others wont.

lmosla
Level 6

What types of tape librarys do you have?  If these are robotic libraries do you see the the Unknown Medium Changer in the Device manager under the Medium Changer? 

Do you see any Windows event system errors such as Event ID's 5,7,9,11,15 These errors point to hardware/scsi error's

navar_holmes
Level 5

They are Dell ML6000 series. With FC LTO-4 drives.

Yes Unknown Medium Changer is listed.

I dont have any of those Event IDs.

Looking at the job history I see that both tape drives were being used at the same time.

IBM0001 started at 3:26am and finished at 3.42am

IBM0002 started at 3.33am and finshed at 6:57am.

Clear over lap in start times and both drives are being used at the same time.

All my polices point to Library02.

I have the same setup on my other backup server. Same library and same server.