cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS 11d Incremental Backups EXTREMELY SLOW

Tom_Kline
Level 2
We just switched to the RALUS 11d agent to begin using BE for our Linux backups instead of the dump utility.
We are using Full Backups using modified time and while slow, they run at about 300MB/min.

Using the SAME selection list and selecting Incremental using modified time, the Incremental jobs run incredibly slow... job rate is 3MB/min...

The data being backed up by the Incremental job seems fine, just incredibly slow.

How can I speed things up?
6 REPLIES 6

Adams-Bickel
Level 2
Hi Tom. :)

We've been using the 10d agent with Differential/Modified Time and been seeing 90MB/min on the diff backups sometimes they'll come through at 300MB/min.

Our full/Mod Time backups push through at 890MB/min.

The only thing we've had checked in the Linux section is lock remote files. We don't use any other specific config.

I'd love to tell you what our throughput would be on the 11d client but if you notice, there's a thread about how our backups aren't working at all since upgrading the server.

Fun. Fun. Fun.

If I come across anything, I'll let you know.

-Bryan

Tom_Kline
Level 2
Still encountering slow incrementals...

Has anyone else had experience resolving slow performance for incremental backups using RALUS 11d?

Message Edited by Tom_Kline on 02-15-2008 03:35 PM

Ian_Dickens
Not applicable
I too have noticed this problem when the Ralus agent is crawling any of our StoreEdge 3300 arrays attached to Solaris 10 operating systems. Every other Sun seems to be backing up at a reasonable speed.

DesignBridge
Level 1
I'm also experiencing extemely slow backups which eventually cause the BE agent to crash and sometimes hang the server.

I'm using 7170 sp2 on a windows 2000 OS.  The agent is the MAC purchased agent
the Full Friday jobs are generally okay but the 2HR to disk run at 30MB per min (very slow compared to usual 800-1400Mb I normally get on Xserve).

I've found this 

but am not sure its correct as I have had good backups in the past

any help would be greatly appreciated. I've had problems with the bought agent on and off ever since I installed it
Thanks

Kane
Level 3
I am also seeing this issue, all other servers (windows) run at around 500 - 700MB/min as soon as we hit the AIX box it tanks to 30MB/min.

I know nothing about AIX, and am going to have someone look at the server, but if there are any suggestions I have them try as well that would be great.

Thanks

Jay_Long
Level 3
I've had to start updating some machines to the RALUS agent after some restore issues with the Legacy agent. One of the AIX machines I've updated is now backing up at a snails pace i.e. 3MB/min instead of the 100MB/min previously.