cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS Agent - Symbolic Links

Level 2
RALUS seems to be unable to backup symbolic links, we are not trying to following the link just backup the link itself. Backup exec reports this as a file missing or not found error. However, if we revert back to the old 9.x unix agent, we do not get this problem.

I have tried all the options in the linux/unix settings in BK 10, I'm pretty stumped now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, also, I have tried to find documentation on the ralus.cfg, is there any available?

Many thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
RALUS can back up symbolic links. It can't back up symbolic links if the link points to a target that doesn't exist. For instance:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 jt jt 3 2005-02-04 14:20 file
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jt jt 4 2005-02-04 14:20 link -> file
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jt jt 7 2005-02-04 14:21 link2 -> nothing

In this folder, I will get an error when backing up link2. link will back up successfully.

This is something that might change in a future version of RALUS.

Ralus.cfg is documented in the Backup Exec Administrator's guide. If you don't have a hard copy, it is available as a PDF in your Backup Exec directory.

Level 2
Thanks very much for your help..

As we backup our critical data from a number of raided NAS servers, the need to backup symbolic links that point to non existance targets is quite important.

Maybe, we need to re-think how our data is mirrored.. In the mean time, we will stick with the old agents.

Oh well, such is life..

many thanks again.