cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS agent backup speed

Koen_van_Langev
Level 2
Hi,

I have been testing the backup with the RALUS agent.

I started with a test configuration like the one we have in production.
a version 10d Backup Exec server with the 10d RALUS agent and got backup speeds up to 2200 MB/min

Then i Upgraded my Backup Exec server to 11d and got with the same RALUS agent for version 10d also speeds up to 2200 MB/min

But when i installed the RALUS agent for version 11 my backup speed dropped to 1200 MB/min

Could someone explain this, am i missing a setting or update?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Koen,

Here are a couple of suggestions/questions I have:
1. Did you reboot the UNIX/Linux box during any of this process? When did you, and with what agent?
2. Did you uninstall the previous 10d agent first?
3. Has anything changed as far as the selections go? If you had different files being backed up, what happens if you choose the same files?
4. What happens if you put the 10d agent back on there and run another backup?
5. Were any system updates on the Linux/UNIX box done during this time of the change?...can you verify by checking the system logs?
6. Have you changed the backup device being used? Is it going to the same tape drive or the same backup to disk folder?
7. If none of the above scenarios relate, and if you still get higher speeds by putting the 10d agent back on there, then I would recommend calling into Support and opening up a case since this would seem to be an issue that would require some debugging and a more thorough analysis.

Thanks.

Koen_van_Langev
Level 2
Hi,

1. Did you reboot the UNIX/Linux box during any of this process? When did you, and with what agent?
No, The system had no reboots.

2. Did you uninstall the previous 10d agent first?
No, I installed the 11 agent over the 10d.

3. Has anything changed as far as the selections go? If you had different files being backed up, what happens if you choose the same files?
The backup was with the same files in every test

4. What happens if you put the 10d agent back on there and run another backup?
I got the same speed back as before (2200)

5. Were any system updates on the Linux/UNIX box done during this time of the change?...can you verify by checking the system logs?
No, no updates on the system other than the backup agent.

6. Have you changed the backup device being used? Is it going to the same tape drive or the same backup to disk folder?
The media server was the same, and in the test is was using backup to disk.

7. If none of the above scenarios relate, and if you still get higher speeds by putting the 10d agent back on there, then I would recommend calling into Support and opening up a case since this would seem to be an issue that would require some debugging and a more thorough analysis.
But a 10d agent is only supported under a 10d backup server if i am not mistaken.
So, the solution in my case is for the moment not to upgrade to a version 11 backup server and stay on the 10d version with the 10d RALUS agent on the client.

Thanks for the response, i hope you can give some more info.

Cheers

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi Koen,

Can you check the start time and end time for both the 10d backup and the 11d backup and let me know what you find? It may be that they are really running at the same speed and we're just reporting an incorrect throughput.

Thanks.

Koen_van_Langev
Level 2
Hi,

The total time for the job with the same files is twice as long with the 11 agent.

Cheers,

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi Koen,

Are you using encryption in the properties of the job? This was a new feature added in 11d, and is known to slow the job down. Would you be able to double-check the properties of the job just to make sure?

Thanks.

Koen_van_Langev
Level 2
Hi,

No, the only thing what changed was the backup agent on the server.
I also tried a version 9 agent but got even less speed from that one.
(about 650 Mb/min)

Cheers,

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi Koen,

At this point, I would suggest you call in for support. I've run it by some of our engineers over here, and we're not able to come up with anything else without doing some thorough analysis with debugs, etc...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'm sure one of our phone techs will be able to help resolve the issue.

Thanks.