cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RANT: BE stops MS SQL during upgrades

steve_burkett
Level 4
Aaargh, just letting off steam here but why do they do this?

No warning, no asking if it's okay to stop SQL, the installer routines just goes ahead and does it. How very uncouth. Why do they need to stop SQL to alter a DB on it?

Man. Their installer guys need a slap.

Steve.
5 REPLIES 5

steve_burkett
Level 4
And then the database upgrade fails anyhow, resulting in a complete loss of your jobs, job histories, accounts... This is from 10.0 build 5520 to 10.1. What a joke.

Their installer guys need two slaps.

Steve.

Sam_Gooble
Level 4
If your database maintanence ran ok last time, it might have saved a copy of your BEDB.BAK in the following folder:

\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\

you can restore it using the procedure mentioned in admin guide in page 775 (adobe reader page 813).

I am sure you have looked around iin the knowledgebase.
i thought the following articles might be of help.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279751.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265180.htm

You could perform backup of bedb.bak in regular intervals to some other location, since its a dump of the backup exec database, and results from automatic database maintanence. its configured by default. you can change it by going to tools-options-database maintenance

also make sure the setting "Save contents of database to the Backup Exec data directory". This dumps the database backup to that above mentioned location as bedb.bak file.

Good luck with your recovery!

-Sam

Sam_Gooble
Level 4
Your upgrade should have saved the old database backup in the following folder:

\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\DataBackup\

If it is there, you could try to restore that.

HTH

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Steve,
-It appears that you have installed BE in an existing SQL instance and not in its own MSDE. IS this the case?
- Was the upgrade successful?
- Please try the recover from backup option in the beutility to recover the jobs from the db dump.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

steve_burkett
Level 4
Corrrect, we are using an existing SQL Server 2000 db on the server. The upgrade did not work, and I decided it was quickest to redo from scratch.

However, my main point is that the BE installation routines stop your existing SQL Server service without warning during installation, which is really really baaaaad if the SQL Server is also used for dev/production DB. And seems kinda strange to me that a service stop is even necessary when modifying DB's?