cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RRAS stops with BE 2010 R2

Barry_Greenaw1
Level 3

I recently upgraded to Backup Exec 2010 R2 SBS Edition on our W2K3 SBS server.

My scheduled SBS server backup to a B2D folder on another server is set daily for 1:30 am and fifteen minutes after the backup starts the Remote Routing & Access Service (RRAS) dies. Eventually the backup fails because it can no longer access the B2D folder on the other server. I have to restart RRAS manually.

When the backup job is held, RRAS does not stop, so it definitely appears to be the backup operation that is causing the service to stop, or a network resource used during the backup.

Following some searching, I found a suggestion to rerun the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard (CEICW) on the SBS server without making any changes. This made no difference. I rebooted the server and the backup then ran successfully on two occasions, but failed again with RRAS stopping.

Anyone had this problem or an idea for a fix?

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I remember I had face similar issue in the past and it turned out be an issue with corrupt catalog .. but issue was in version 10 or 11d.

You can following the steps below before making any chage to the catalogs directory

1. From the services console make sure you STOP and DISABLE the "Removable Storage" service

2. Uninstalling the OEM drivers for the medium changer: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH33002

3. Installing the latest Symantec Drivers for Backupexec

4. Reboot the server (Must Do step)

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If this does not help check the eventlog on the time of the backup. Are there any indications pointing to possible reasons (vss errors? some timeouts etc?)

Barry_Greenaw1
Level 3

No clues in the event viewer that I can see apart from the obvious one about RRAS being sent a stop control. I am recreating the B2D folders on our SAN mounted to another drive on a different server to eliminate maybe a resource issue with the original server. I was originally backing up to a B2D on a local drive on the original server,

Update: A manual backup to the new B2D folder on the SAN went ok and RRAS did not stop. Now I need to run it as a scheduled backup to see if RRAS dies again.