cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Tapes incorrectly identified as cleaning media

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
I have been looking at the post regarding tapes being incorrectly identified as cleaning media. they all point to all new tapes be incorrectly identified, but i find that only random tapes both new and old are affected. i.e put a new tape in and 2/10 its picked up as a cleaning tape or a tape would be in the library for months and suddenly it will be identified as cleaning media.

I've looked at 190522 and im not too sure if it applies. i have 2 drive specified in the device configuration window and they appear to be in the right order according to their target ID . is this correct?

Quantum 4 has a target id of 1 and a device element of 0
Quantum 2 has a target id of 2 and a device element of 1
12 REPLIES 12

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please do follow the steps mentioned in the technote 190522.
Also the SCSI ids should be between 2 and 5. The ids 0, 1, and 6 should be avoided.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
As stated i have read the article, but im a little unsure. are the target ids/element ids the scsi id? and is the current order correct?

Just out of interest, why can't backup exec retrieve the correct ids?Message was edited by:
Chris Gibson

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. The Target Id is the SCSI id of the drive. BE does retreive the correct IDs most of the times thats the reason you did not have this error before, this could happen due to corruption in the ADAMM information. You could also power cycle the device and server to have it redetected in BE.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
I take it then that the device element is also the scsi id? This is an intermitant problem, is it likely that the scisi ids are wrong?

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
any ideas?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know if you have changed SCSI IDs as suggested by Amruta on 9th May ?
- If not kindly change it and check the results.

Regards.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
I need to confirm if the element id is the scisi id as well. I still dont understand, is the target id what Backup exec assumes they are and if the element id is the actual?

clay_bowman
Level 4
Chris, I've seen failing tape drives cause this exact issue. Maybe disable one of them at a time and see if it's one drive causing the issue, if so I would replace it.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
We have had 2 drives replaced already. When they go they wont unload the tape and its pretty sudden i.e 1 day it works the next day nothing. So im pretty confident that the current devices are ok. To be honest im bit itchy about changing teh scsi ids of devices that are working correctly 97% of the time. I would assume that incorrect Ids would cause a bigger problem

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the technote given earlier and also in addition please check this.

From the Hardware compatibility list please check if your device is tested.

If it is tested then install latest Veritas drivers.

(title) Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271383

(title) Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

(title) VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

Disable RSM service.

Update firmware.

Thanks
,NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
You still have confirmed is the DE is the scisi id as well or just some randomily generated number.

im am running the latest firmware on the device/drives and the device is supported.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

The latest reply of yours is not clear. Please elaborate on it. Also, have you checked the compatibility list and if it is compatible, did you install the latest drivers ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.