cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready; No device idle

Kaxley0618
Level 2

Hello,

I have been searching these forums for a few hours and have seen this issue and put in place a few of them (shutdown the server and tape drive then power cycle server etc.). I have found this not to work. I did have the symantec drivers for the IBM Ultrium-HH5, but just to give it a go I tried out the IBM drivers. Though I am unsure this will actually work. Currently I am rebooting the server with the different drivers so a screenshot would yield no help here. I am just wondering if after this it still does not work and I reinstall the drivers and it still doesn't work. Could it be that it is because it is a VM? I'm really at a loss here because it can see all the tapes in the drive, but it cannot communicate to the robotics or something. Thanks for any help that I get. Have a great day!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry Gurvinder but in this instance if customer is using a virtual machine as a media server and expecting access to a physical tape drive or libary there is no point in logging a case unless a physcial setup has the same problem. This is why this type of setup is defined in the SCL as an Alternative Configuration.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder
If TD is connected to the ESX and you have BE in a VM, that could be problematic. It is recommended to have BE on a physical server. If you have BE on a VM and you are backing up to Tape Drive you may see some Issues. Refer this and see if it is helpful http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70246

Colin_Weaver
Yep you are not supoported to use a tape device or library inside a VM and this sort of random problem is actually typical of those seen by customers that try and get tape devices working inside a VM. Please confirm if you still have the problem when using a physical media server.

Kaxley0618
Level 2

Sorry your reply came up after I had submitted the other. Do you know of any configurations I would have to do to get this resolved?

Kaxley0618
Level 2

It seems my config is correct from the article you provided.

Gurvinder

better to open a case with tech support but this would fall under Alternate configuration as per the article I gave you.

Colin_Weaver

Sorry Gurvinder but in this instance if customer is using a virtual machine as a media server and expecting access to a physical tape drive or libary there is no point in logging a case unless a physcial setup has the same problem. This is why this type of setup is defined in the SCL as an Alternative Configuration.