cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready; No idle devices are available.

Koenraad_Lelong
Level 4
Hi,
I scheduled a number of jobs, that went fine for some days. Then, one day, I did not receive notification from two jobs. I went to check, and got a "Ready; No idle devices are available" status for those two jobs, the other were"'Running", although I did receive a "Success" notification. I left that for a day, but it did not go away. The only thing that got BEX10 to do it's job again (that I know of) was to reboot. Then those jobs that were "Running" went to "Failed", the other two started running.
About a week later, now, two days in a row, again I get a "Ready; No idle devices are available" status of two jobs (see http://www.ace-electronics.be/veritas/veritas1.png). Again, rebooting seems to start BEX again.
What is happening ? I don't believe that rebooting is the right way to solve this, but how ?
P.S. I applied SP1.

I'm really disappointed with BEX10, I've had several other issues, I don't feel I can trust it.
Regards,
Koenraad Lelong.
3 REPLIES 3

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
Hello,

This error could occur due to communication problem between Backup Exec server and tape device or device driver related issue. To resolve the issue, do the following:

1. Go to devices tab, right click on device > properties > disable the device. Once again right click on the device and select delete to delete the device. Re-cycle Backup Exec services

2. Refer the following link to download the latest device drivers for Backup Exec v10.0.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275676.htm

Run tapeinst.exe (the default path is :\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT.). On second screen choose, "Use Veritas Drivers for all tape devices" option to install the VERTIAS device drivers.

3. Now run the suspected backup job and verify the result.

If this does not help then look for Even ID: 7,9,11, and 15 in system event log to check SCSI or Hardware related issue.

Thanks,

Koenraad_Lelong
Level 4
All jobs are backup to (firewire)disk. So I don't think installing tape-device-drivers will solve anything. But I may be wrong.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

-- You can install the latest drivers as mentioned in our earlier reply.

-- Also check if event id's 9, 11 or 15 are occured in the system event log.

Please keep us updating on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.