cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready; no idle devices available

Steven_Barrier
Level 2
Why is it that you cannot use Drive Pools to separate the drive functionality of a Dell PV132T with two drives? Any time I try to run more than one job that uses two different drive pools, one job goes on hold waiting for the other to finish. I do this to control the amount of time any one drive gets used and balance the backup load between them. This worked great under all previous versions, but in 10 it sucks. The only work around I have found is using the "All Devices" pool and letting BE control which drive gets used. I am running the latest release plus sp with all Veritas drivers and no RSM. What's up?
6 REPLIES 6

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Steven!

All Devices (Server Name) is the default device pool, created when Backup Exec is
installed. All devices recognized by Backup Exec at startup are automatically assigned to
All Devices (Server Name). You can create other device pools to meet your particular
requirements, and assign and reassign storage devices to these pools.

Skim through the page number 91 of the admin guide for more info on configuiring device pools.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262932 can also be helpful.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Steven_Barrier
Level 2
Yes. As I stated, I created two device pools (drive pools) and assigned one drive to each to control what job went to which drive. The problem is that both device pools cannot be in use at the same time when the two drives are in this one library. I do not have other libraries to test this out with, but from the number of other posts on the subject it seems it is not vendor limited. I have further discovered that you can also assign the jobs to the library device and it will also split up jobs without affecting things like backup2disk resources. This still does not answer the initial question of controlling how much each drive is used.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Are you trying to run two concurrent jobs on two drives of the same library? This feature is also available in 10.0. Refer to the following technote for the same:

Title: How to run concurrent jobs using a library in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/262876

Reconfigure your jobs as per the steps in the technote and test the results. If you encounter problems, check for errors in the alerts tab in Backup exec. Also check for errors in the event logs of Windows.

Hope this helps. Do update in either case.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Steven_Barrier
Level 2
I used to use BE that way, but then I became enlightened by device pools. In the past, I was able to create device pools, such as "Full Backups" and "Differential Backups" so that when I wanted to swap the drive usage, I would not have to modify all 22 jobs I have, only swap the drive locations in the pools. I had one drive assigned to each pool. Two jobs will run at the same time in v10, but I have found they will not always run when you assign the jobs to device pools. The job engine seems to want assignment to physical hardware in order to run concurrent jobs to one library, negating the purpose of the device pools entirely. This was never a problem in v8.6. 10 has enough improvements to stay with it, but it was VERY frustrating to see my backups not run concurrently for a while. I guess I'll go back to using physical device assignent until something pops up. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Thank you for the update.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

admin_admin_6
Not applicable
This last response is poor beyond belief. You didn't solve the issue and left the user without a solution.