cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild BackExec 2010 R2

RichStevenson
Level 3

I lost my database files for 2010 R2, but still have my catalogs. Tried with Symantec supprt to recover the database but was unsuccessful. So now I'm starting from scratch. I've recreated my job list/selections, media sets, etc. and want to know the best way to rescan all of my tapes.

Do I first inventory them and then catalog? Or do I use the Import command? The server is connected to a 30 tape changer and when I tried Import, it would move the tape to the I/E station, tell me to remove it, and then tell me to put it back. After that it did not appear to do anything but was successful. But when I did that I had my original catalogs in place.

Should I just not use the original catalogs, since I do not have the original database and then inventory and catalog each tape?

Thanks,

Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As Amol says, you do not have to re-catalog all the tapes or BKF/IMG files. 

You will, however,  need to inventory/scan each media (tape volume, BKF/IMG file  to create an association in the database before you can actually restore data

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Even if you don't have the database you can still use the original catalogs.

Open the restore window and check if you are able to see the backup sets.

RichStevenson
Level 3

Yea I can see the backup sets when the catalogs are in place. So if it's ok to use them, what is the next step for the tapes? Right now the tapes in the changer show up as Unknown Media/Scratch.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As Amol says, you do not have to re-catalog all the tapes or BKF/IMG files. 

You will, however,  need to inventory/scan each media (tape volume, BKF/IMG file  to create an association in the database before you can actually restore data

RichStevenson
Level 3

Ok just tried that with one and tape and it seemed to work. Thanks.

On another note, how do I protect myself from this in the future. I was backing up the Data and Catalog directories but the .mdf and .ldf files were not there, and Symantec said that's what I needed to recover things. I had the bedb.bak, but restoring that with beutil didn't help.

thanks guys!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I had the bedb.bak, but restoring that with beutil didn't help

What errors did you get?  You should be able to restore the BAK file to get the database back.  that's the recommended way to do it

Did the media server name change or possible the domain  You can use BEutil to reset those if they did

RichStevenson
Level 3

Yea I didn't have a backup from the new server, it was from the old which had a different name. So I followed the procedure that I executed when I moved the data to the new server. Used the sqlcmd tool to change the name after using beutil to recover the database. Didn't receive any errors during the recovery. But BE would not load after that.