cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Active Directory Only

Chris_Snyder
Level 3
How do I restore just the Active Directory portion of the system state. After I complete the System State restore, the server comes up with teh Blue Screen - Inaccessible Boot Device.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

To restore Active Directory, a backup of the system state of the computer is required. You can restore the Active Directory by restoring the system state.

However in Windows 2003 the system state is backed up as a part of Shadow Copy Components. Alternatively you may like to use the Ntdsutil utility to restore the Active Directory. We presume that you want to restore Active Directory of a Windows 2000/2003 server.

Please refer these technotes:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236240.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235160.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Chris_Snyder
Level 3
The system state recovery is the problem...When I go to recover the active directory or any other part of the system state, the options are grayed out. When I go through with the entire system state recovery, the new system gets the blue screen message when rebooted. Is there a way to recover only the portions of the system state that I want?
Thanks.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any error message when you reboot the machine?

- Are you trying a restore on a different server?

- Is a different hardware used?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Chris_Snyder
Level 3
As the new server comes up, I do not receive any error messages until I get the blue screen with an error message that says Inaccessible Boot Device.

I am trying to recover the old server to a new server. I have tried to keep as much of the new server technology the same as the old server, but technology has changed over the past few years. With this in mind, both servers are made by Dell and are server-class servers. The old one was set up with a Perc 4/Di SCSI RAID 5 handling 6 x 36GB drives partitioned via MS Small Business Server 2000 as a 12GB (C:) and 147GB (D:). The (C:) is basically the server system and the (D:) is the user related data. The new server also has a Perc 4/Di SCSI RAID 5 handling 2 x 36GB Drives (RAID 1-Mirror) for the (C:) and also 3 x 146GB (RAID 5) for the (D:). I am still using MS Small Business Server 2000 on the server, while using Windows 2000 Server for the remote backup server. I was able to replace the LTO-1 tape drive with the same type, and it reads the full-backup tape just fine.
The only real difference between the two servers is that the old one had 2 processors, and the new only has one (Budget constraints due to a grant gave me this limitation).
I am hoping that I can recover the old server data to the new server using as many steps as needed. I know that using IDR is not going to work because of the processor differences, so this is why I am trying to see if I can restore the old server Active Directory to the new server without having to restore the rest of the System State (i.e., Boot Files, Com + Class Registration Database, Registry, and SYSVOL). Thanks for all of your help.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263184

Have you installed any drivers on the server?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.