cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS Backup Exec 10 Service Pack 3 AOFO

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
I am running SBS Backup Exec 10 Service Pack 3 on an SBS 2003 Premium Server.

The server is running VSS (Shadow Copy Services) as it is a Window 2003 server.

When I modify the backup job, it allows be to select AOFO options, however, only one option can be picked, the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services. I did not pay extra for AOFO, however, the option to pick it is enabled, I imagine due to the fact the server already has a snapshot agent (VSS) installed.

When the backup runs, I get an error V-79-57344-65218.

Why do I get this error?

It makes sense to pay for AOFO when I'm using Veritas AOFO snapshot modules, but why do I get this error when I've selected an AOFO option built into the Windows 2003 operating system?

Do I have to pay extra for Advance Open File Option even though I'm using VSS which is built into Windows 2003?

If I do have to pay extra for the AOFO option, why is it that the option is available on my Job properties? All other unistalled / unpaid modules are totally greyed out.

Thanks,

Anthony
6 REPLIES 6

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

In Backup Exec backup jobs the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service is used only for backup of Shadow Copy Components.

The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service is used irrespective of whether the option is explicitly selected in the "Advanced Open File Option" section or not.

i.e. You dont need to select this option.

Also, Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service can be used for backup of Shadow Copy Components only.

It cannot be used for backups of system partitions or user data.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
I've fairly certain I've seen several articles that indicate VSS can be used for backups of system partitions. Are you absolutely certain that VSS can not be used to backup system partitions when the AOFO option is installed? I believe you can select VSS (Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services) as the snapshot provider...

Also, can you address all the questions in my original post?

Thanks,

Anthony

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

If AOFO is not installed or not licensed, do not activate this option in backup job properties. The error generally appears if AOFO option is not installed but is selected in the job properties.

Please refer this technote for more information:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275397.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
I am getting frustrated with the fact that you are giving me very general information and not answering all my questions. Please re-read my posts.

Moderators / Symantec employees, please answer all my questions instead of just referencing some article that does not answer my questions. I will file a complaint with Symantec if neccessary.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As we have mentioned in our earlier reply, Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service can be used for backup of Shadow Copy Components only.

It cannot be used for backups of system partitions or user data.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.