cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Backup Exec 11d license

helpdesk5
Level 2
 I am trying to install Backup Exec 11d on a new server in our network. I have only 1 of the little yellow license cards which contains the numbers for the add-ins only.

Now this is already installed on a server on my network but the instalation appears to be corrupt - doesnt launch precsses not running etc but all the info files registry etc is still there.

Is there any way i can get all the license information from that "bodged" install export it in a way where i can safely remove the bodged install and install on a new server thus not invalidating my license agreements.

Any ideas are welcome i am stumped - oh and i dont believe our support agreement is up to date so a phone call to Symantec may not be possible. Besides im sure you guys here are better.

Thanks to all.

Have a nice Day.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
On the broken server do a search for besernum.xml.  Copy that file to the new server in the same directory.  Install Backup Exec on the new server and select import when you get to the license screen. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DR0701
Level 5
Hi

Have you tried re-installing Backup Exec over the top of the faulty installation to see if that works?  If it does, it may allow you to run the software and gather the licence codes you need.

Failing that, it might be worthwhile speaking to Symantec Support anyway and explaining the situation.

Doug.

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
On the broken server do a search for besernum.xml.  Copy that file to the new server in the same directory.  Install Backup Exec on the new server and select import when you get to the license screen. 

helpdesk5
Level 2
 Thank you so very much.

This worked a charm and the instalation is now in progress. Such a simple solution i am so veyr greatfull. The location of the file for other peoples reference on my Server 2003 Instalation was "c:\windows".

Thank you again.

Martyn Simpson
Microlease PLC